• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

f14 display

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
so I am looking at an f14, the player 4 area of the display is out, nothing, game plays fine etc everything works, was told if the wires are swapped out player 4 lights up so I am wondering where to look from here, thinking bad chip on board somewhere? Thanks for any help or suggestions..

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I'm not sure what wires they can be swapping out to make player 4 work, all the displays are on one board, it's not like the earlier System 9/11 machines.

We're going to need more info to be able to start to suggest what it could be.

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Im not sure, was just told that if I wanted to change any game settings, the menu uses player 4 display, so I would have to change the plugs and it will display. Is there a plug on each display that only provides power?, and the data is on the main ribbon?,it didnt make a lot of sense to me.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
That's bizarre. All the displays are on one board, so I don't know exactly what they are doing to make this work.

Hopefully someone who has more smarts than I do can give some insight.

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
slither said:
Im not sure, was just told that if I wanted to change any game settings, the menu uses player 4 display, so I would have to change the plugs and it will display. Is there a plug on each display that only provides power?, and the data is on the main ribbon?,it didnt make a lot of sense to me.

Pull the battery and "factory reset" it

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
battery died, apparently and the game reverted to factory settings, set on 3 ball, not sure what he was doing if anything to get player 4 display to light, all he said was change plugs around and it lights up,Ill have to get a hold of him and ask,lol. :FP:

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
There isn't separate cables for each display, they are all on one board unless someone has hacked earlier display in to the machine.

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
eh97ac said:
Maybe he means swapping player 1-3 cable with 4
I think thats what he meant, is the data carried on one cable and power supplied by another? I dont think the display is out gassed,but isnt getting power, if so maybe a chip or something on the board itself for this display, not familiar with system 11s at all. I pick it up tomorrow, will post some pics..

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Found this today, about same issue

If players 1, 2 and 3 are all working correctly then besides a bad
glass the only other problem that can cause player #4 not to light is
a bad UDN6118 at U14. Any other bad chips or connections would be
evident with the other displays.

So besides changing that chip or putting up a new glass pin to pin to
the old glass there is one other option for testing. BUT CARE MUST BE
TAKEN TO DO IT CORRECTLY without blowing out other chips.
Power OFF. Using alligator clips connect pin1 on player 3 glass to
pin 1 on player 4 glass. And pin 2 on player 3 to pin 2 on player 4.
No turn on the game and put the game into display test. If the glass
is good 1 segment in 1 digit will light when the same one does on
player 3.

If you are confused about which pin on the glass is pin 1 it doesn't
matter if you start from the left or right side of the glass as doing
the same tests on pins 38 and 39 (the last 2 pins on the other side)
will do the same thing.
doesnt really explain switching plugs , but does give me insight into possible solution, anyone know if this chip is on display board?, or mpu?

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Testing the UDN7180/UDN6118 Chips and Score Glass for Shorts.
Both UDN chips are 18 pin chips. The four corner pins of the chips do *not* need to be tested (pins 1,9,10,18). But all the other pins can be tested. Repeat this test for each of the UDN6118 and UDN7180 chips:

1. Turn the game off.
2. Remove the high voltage power supply power connector (3J5 or 3J2, depending on which power supply the game has).
3. Put the DMM on the *diode* setting.
4. Connect the red DMM lead to ground.
5. Put the black DMM lead on each UDN pin 2 to pin 8.
6. A reading of .5 to .7 should be seen.
7. Put the black DMM lead on each UDN pin 11 to 17.
8. a NULL (no) reading should be seen!
how to test chip..

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
No it is not, AAAAAAND if it is a bad UDN chip I wish you all the luck in the world trying to find a replacement. These are made of serious unobtainium. I did design and build a replacement using some discreet components years ago, but never made more than a few for my own purposes.

D

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
old gottlieb futuba displays have 2 udn6118 chips on them, I have a few laying around, I believe may work

If you have one lying around, Gottlieb 6 & 7 digit displays have two 6118's on the board. Most of the time, they work fine.

Steve
taken from pinside..

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Re-purposing is always good if you're pulling it from something unusable. Just be sure your existing glass doesn't have an internal short before replacing the UDN, or you'll ruin the replacement as soon as you power it up.

D

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
thanks guys, I get her home tomorrow, may start with jumping pins from player 3, the guy told me he had player 4 lit up so I assumeits ok, just not getting power . But we all know what assuming can lead to,lol. Will keep you posted.. Maybe I can sell off the other rare chips for one million dollars, muhaaaaa..