• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Flipper Coil Hot and Buzzing Gottlieb Sys80B

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
So after a month or so I've owned my Goldwings one of the flipper coils (17875) stopped working and I didn't think nothing of it (the coil sleeve didn't melt) and bought a replacement coil, installed it and got my game up and running again. A month later the flipper got stuck and wouldn't fall back down. I checked the coil and it was very hot and the sleeve melted against the hole and I couldn't pull out the sleeve. I went and bought another coil and checked right away and it gets extremely hot. Also when I'm holding the flipper on with the button it makes a loud warning buzzing noise. Do I need to replace the EOS or should do I buy a flipper rebuild kit? Should I try to clean the contacts or file it?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Chance is that the End of Stroke switch is misadjusted on this flipper pawl,
e.g. switch does not open when the flipper is activated, so the strong coil stays activated
when the flipper button is kept on, causing the coil to overheat rapidly.
Or, perhaps the wiring to the new flipper coil needs to be checked again.
If incorrect it could cause this coil overheat even if the EOS opens.

If the flipper is now stuck in the up position and the sleeve melted, you need to replace
the coil and check the EOS and wiring before operating it again
(you can compare to the flipper coil on the other side).

- Sylvain.

Reactions: Menace

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
I finally got my Hot flipper coil problem fixed. I tried cleaning the EOS contact points and checked all wiring but the coil still got hot. I bought a mini flipper rebuild kit and put in the new EOS and everything worked like a charm and theirs no more buzzing noises as well when holding onto the flipper button. After taking out the old EOS the contact points were all chewed up and they needed to be replaced.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.