• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

I hate UPS

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
I hate having to ship with UPS. Every year I end up ordering (Black Friday Sales) from the US and inevitably there is always a vendor that only deals with UPS for international shipping. Avoid them at all costs.

I order an item as below:

Item cost: US$49.30
Shipping Cost: US$17.47
Total: US$66.77
Box Size: 12" x 4" x 5"
Box weight: 1 lb

Total: CD$91.05

UPS Charges:
Exchange Rate: 1.3635
GST (item): CD$10.28
Brokerage Fee: CD$34.25
GST (Brokerage): CD$4.45
Total: CD$48.98

I get the GST on the item. But why do they charge $34.25+GST for clearing an item? WTF do they do on a simple item and box of this size that justifies that price? When FedEx, USPS, Purolator, Canada Post clearance costs are nowhere near this bad.

I think they call them Big-Brown because of the fudge they like to push you know where. Geezus! I hate them - avoid them at all costs when shipping internationally.

{Rant Off}

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I like to wait and send it to my hotel when in Vegas.
Not like I am ever bringing back suitcases full of cash.
You can always bite the bullet and go ups expidited.

Last edited:

dr.nybble

Nov 28, 2014
Ottawa
I got a cheque once from a class action lawsuit against the exorbitant UPS fees. Wasn't much after lawyers got their share. Also depends on the class of UPS shipping but most companies pick the cheap option that sticks you with fees.

As you said -- avoid at all costs.

(Lawsuit -- https://www.siskinds.com/class-action/ups/)

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
DHL used to be like that ... every shipment would have crazy handling feels, even if they did not have to do anything ... They seem to be better now. I usually only ship USPS if I can...

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
I just gave Shippy's a try for the first time, you could use them instead? Their fee was $6.99 as opposed to $34.25. I then paid another $9.99 to have the package shipped from Shippsy to me, but if you happen to be close to one of their warehouses you wouldn't have to pay that price. In my case I had to use them because Barnes & Nobles doesn't ship Blu Ray's to Canada, but you can still use them to avoid UPS shipping costs and if where you ordered from ships "free" within the states even better.

Reactions: Fleetwood mIkea

Pharoah007

Nov 17, 2012
Ottawa
I have avoided ups like the plague since approx 2001.

I also do not pay their brokerage fees. I just call them and ask them who gave them authority to clear my item Thur Customs, stating that I was prepared to travel to whatever point of entry and clear it myself. 100% success rate getting this "cash grab" charge back.

Reactions: Malibu-SS