• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

LOTR magnet question

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I was playing LOTR yesterday, and I ran into a problem with the ring magnet during DTR. The magnet would grab the first ball and hold it, but then the second ball, rather than hitting the first ball through would get stuck to the first one. It basically pushed the first ball through enough so that the second was suspended where the first ball was, but the first one was magnetized to it behind the ring. Then the game went into ball search, didn't release either ball from the ring, and finally kicked out a chase ball (ending DTR-dammit). Strange part was that when I tried to use ball 3 to knock out the stuck balls, IT stuck to the magnetized ones (on the outside this time) for a minute before all three finally shook free. I've had 2 balls stick in the ring before like that, and I can see how it'd happen, but is there anything that you can adjust to keep this from happening other than turning DTR down to one ball? Seems like this is just a case of the magnet working too well...

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
It's just a timing issue, the magnet has to pulse to keep the ball in the ring, and if you happen to hit the other ball at the same time as when the magnet pulses the balls get magnetized together and neither ball makes it through.

I assume the third ball just didn't have enough force to push the other 2 through and got magnetized as well.

There isn't much you can do about it.

Chris Bardon said:
I was playing LOTR yesterday, and I ran into a problem with the ring magnet during DTR. The magnet would grab the first ball and hold it, but then the second ball, rather than hitting the first ball through would get stuck to the first one. It basically pushed the first ball through enough so that the second was suspended where the first ball was, but the first one was magnetized to it behind the ring. Then the game went into ball search, didn't release either ball from the ring, and finally kicked out a chase ball (ending DTR-dammit). Strange part was that when I tried to use ball 3 to knock out the stuck balls, IT stuck to the magnetized ones (on the outside this time) for a minute before all three finally shook free. I've had 2 balls stick in the ring before like that, and I can see how it'd happen, but is there anything that you can adjust to keep this from happening other than turning DTR down to one ball? Seems like this is just a case of the magnet working too well...

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
This could be a shot in the dark (cause I'm a newb!).....but do you have silverjets in the LOTR? I've been told not to put these in a pin that has magnets in it.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Nope, these are standard balls from pinball life, new when I got the machine last fall. Probably just a fluke thing, although it'd suck to have that happen in competition play. Just a good idea to have keys handy for that game to be able to dislodge balls in a case like this.

May 17, 2013
Ontario
Bigbossfan said:
This could be a shot in the dark (cause I'm a newb!).....but do you have silverjets in the LOTR? I've been told not to put these in a pin that has magnets in it.

Can confirm that Silverjet + LOTR magnet = bad news. Balls kept getting stuck together on the sword ramp and in the ball trough.