• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Man dies in street showdown with police

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
"Maybe" the situation could have gone different, but at the end of the day the guy was waving a knife around and not responding to instructions from the police to drop it. It wasn't like he had a bag of skittles in his hand.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
frolic said:
It wasn't like he had a bag of skittles in his hand.

thats a whole different bag of worms.
if the suspect was black and a renegade neighborhood watch officer was nearby, the skittles would have meant death.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
movingpictures said:
i can't stand these bleeding-hearts protesting the death of a psycho. :FP:
...the kid was being a dangerous menace to society, swinging around a knife. damn right he should have been shot.

So movingpictures, when are you moving to the States ? :lol:

I'm hearing a lot of rhetoric about "waving the knife around" or "brandishing a dangerous weapon" and being a "psycho" etc, but in the seconds before he is shot, none of that seems a very fitting description. He was alone, trapped, young, skinny, and from what I can tell he was not waving it around making advances towards the officers. Would I do it ? No. But that doesn't take us all the way to "of course you should get shot" IMO.

Yeah, the idealistic young people who make up the lion's shares of these marches and vigils and kinda turn you off the whole thing or make you lose focus. I don't know this kid, and maybe it was just a matter of time before he went off, who knows. My beef is with the way the police handled it. Think about just how fast and loose the law is applied nowadays....from unpatrolled highways to overcrowded jails the whole system seems in crisis. This is just a nice, visual example of that IMO. On a different day, with a different group of officers I feel this thing would have played out differently. And that is not a good feeling.

I also hope there is no one out there who thinks that they could never have a kid like this. I'm doing everything I can to turn out a decent kid, but anything can happen. It probably wouldn't be a knife on a streetcar, but any lapse in judgement ( a teenagers specialty ) plus some bad timing is all it takes.

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
All kinds of people are shot and killed by the police when other non lethal force should be used.
My wife's cousin was shot and killed just a few weeks ago. The SIU still hasn't divulged any information to his family yet. Two officers shot him in the back 15 metres away from the back door of his own home. My wife's family won't rest until there is justice for Steve. These types of cases seem to be occurring more often all the time and I keep feeling more all the time we're living in a police state.

http://canadianawareness.org/2013/06/ha ... ent-video/