• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

NHL tentative deal

Cypher

Nov 19, 2012
Flamborough, ON
I have completely lost interest in the NHL. I'm happy for the local bars and shops that have been hit hard by greedy owners and players.

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
Yeah, they are truly the biggest losers in this fiasco.. whether you side with owner or player, those outside business people whose livings depend on the season running are the hardest hit.

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
Except those fuckers who charge an arm and a leg to park. Those assholes can go on welfare for all I care. :twisted: :twisted:

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
superjackpot said:
Just don't forget to put an asterisk next to this year's Stanley cup winners. It's not a real season.

Damn... given that my Leafs never have more than half a good season, I figured this might be their only shot. :lol: :lol:

Really though, did the 94 Rangers cup count in your book? I don't plan on watching (fatal last words) but I'd say they're all playing an equal season that's more than half.. I'd say it counts. Not that I'm watching, though, mind you.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
McMean said:
superjackpot said:
Just don't forget to put an asterisk next to this year's Stanley cup winners. It's not a real season.

Damn... given that my Leafs never have more than half a good season, I figured this might be their only shot. :lol: :lol:

Really though, did the 94 Rangers cup count in your book? I don't plan on watching (fatal last words) but I'd say they're all playing an equal season that's more than half.. I'd say it counts. Not that I'm watching, though, mind you.

In all honesty I cannot recall how I felt about the 94 season... I seemed to recall a lot talk about a ref and some non-Gretzky call :p... but ya, I'd say a substantially shorter season is something to note. Making it to the playoffs is one thing, and all teams are playing the same 48 or 50 game season. But making it through 80+ games with all its momentum swings, injury potential, crazy road trips etc. draws upon a team's depth and coaching and so on, and in that regard things will be different now. How many teams play great for half a season, lead the league in December and then disappear? And then the lack of training camp, pre-season... hmm. Winning the cup takes more than just making it to the playoffs for sure, but I'm certain the balance has shifted in some respect.

I watch my hockey but the longer this went on, the more I hoped the season would be cancelled entirely.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
I'm a numbers man when it comes to hockey...not just stats, but salaries, caps, roster moves and the like. This shortened season and the next two will be hum-dingers for fans of hockey talk--lots of player movement, two amnesty buyouts, reduced cap. Quite frankly, I'm looking forward to it.

I became a fan of the numbers because my team, the New York Islanders, hasn't won a playoff series since 1993. Best to watch the stats sheets and not the on-ice product when your team has been laying eggs for this many years. I jumped on the Isles bandwagon when I was three and they were winning Stanley Cups...I've been suffering ever since.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Speaking of numbers, I heard on the radio that Bodog is offering 100-1 odds on the Blue Jackets taking the cup.

Who wants to throw down a grand and pray ??! :roll:

Even at 100,000 - 1
NO CHANCE

QN

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
I'd agree, this cup doesn't matter. If you figure in the past, it goes down to the last few games of the season to determine who makes the playoffs. Shorten that and the randomness increases.

Take that to the extreme and you've got the World Jrs. where any team on a given day can win.

I'll watch though, this last week and a bit with limited football has really affected my tv schedule.....