• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Remote battery holders

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Do any of you guys bother installing remote battery holders? I keep reading about them as a suggestion, but haven't bothered putting them in any of my games. I do try to change the batteries once a year, but I figured that if the batteries were going to leak, then you'd probably notice as long as you played them reasonably often, right? I suppose there is the possibility that something could leak and cause damage without losing the game settings/audits etc though.

Anyway, is this something that you guys tend to do to new machines?

Mindstorm88

Dec 17, 2012
Varennes,Qc
Most of the time when i fix a board i do install remote battery, unless customer doesn't want !!!

Why ?? you may forget to replace them and worst case they may leak while still retain the memory.

How comes?? you may have 1 battery getting internal short then leak while the 2 other ones are still giving enough power to the ram to keep memory !!!

then when you realise that memory is lost it's already been a long time the acid is eating the board !!!

And it is not only old game , i have seen a lot of Whitestar cpu badly corroded !!!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I put them in if there is previous damage or its an older machine that doesn't take AA batteries without the mod.

But for newer games, no I don't bother, I just change out my batteries every couple years.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I make it a habit to change out all my batteries New Years Day for all my games. Some of my games have remote holders, most don't.

D

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I only have one machine with a remote holder and that's because it came like that. I make it a habit of changing mine once a year, usually when the clocks go back, and I check them in the spring when the clocks go forward. Probably overkill, but I've had to repair too many corroded boards through the years.

Trevor H

Nov 15, 2012
I just did remote holders in all my games. Installed no solder versions with dummy batteries. Cost less than 5 dollars to make each one, so why wouldn't you? Just bought a game with a leaky battery so I learned my lesson!