• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Server Backup - ISP had a catastrophic failure

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
My ISP had a catastrophic failure with their SSD SAN. They were able to recover it after replacing some hardware, but resulted in a day (12 hrs) of being down.

I wish I could say it will never happen again, but when I switched to this ISP, they had a great track record and very good and current hardware. I think all things considered they did a good job of getting the server back up and running.

We do frequent offsite backups, if this ISP vanished, we would be able to fail over to an new server if necessary, so have no fear.

Derek

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
ISP is supposed to give a full explanation of the outage, but basically, after that first crash last week, they had to replace the entire storage array, so it was on life support, yesterday, they moved all of their clients to a new SAN (Storage Array Network) basically a big external hard drive.

We will see what they have to say about what comes next, the performance on the new SAN is better then it was last week, but it is not SSD Performance.

But I am actively working on this, I understand how much it sucks when the system is down
Derek