• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stern Jaws

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
Recently played Jaws pro at P1- was very underwhelmed. Guessing the premium/LE has more interesting mechs? Another over-priced Stern offering.
Now in saying that, JJP games are even worse value with EJ being another over-rated, over-pumped pin (like GnR).
I've played Jaws many times now pro and premium. Premium is better for sure but I thought the pro was still very good. The missing upper playfield definitely leaves the game looking a bit empty though, There is no comparison to GNR, Jaws is a much better shooting game!

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
EJ is really approachable, non pinball people, even my mom in law love it. It’s deep enough to keep interest and shoots like butter

Unfortunately I haven't played a ton of EJ but I did get a couple of games on it in July again. Definitely a fun game, probably the best JJP. Light show is impressive like GNR.

Reactions: rwmech5 and Smokezz

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Since this is a JAWS thread I’ll make a comment about it. Games are LOOOONG on this thing once you figure it out. I guess GZ is like that as well. Never played that one much so can’t really compare.

Had my first 1+ hour game this week. I don’t like that. Having flashbacks of LOTR and its unending games - I was often over 60 mins and even getting over 90 min games on that one. Ugggh. JAWS likely won’t stay in our lineup past next year. I want to see the code finished first of course.

I’ve come close to finishing JP a few times and it was about 40 mins. I find the gameplay way more intense and difficult on JP. I still do find JAWS to be more fun though - for the time being.

Attachments

• IMG_7228.png
    IMG_7228.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: dos.reboot

a.stebel

Jul 7, 2014
Barrie
Since this is a JAWS thread I’ll make a comment about it. Games are LOOOONG on this thing once you figure it out. I guess GZ is like that as well. Never played that one much so can’t really compare.

Had my first 1+ hour game this week. I don’t like that. Having flashbacks of LOTR and its unending games - I was often over 60 mins and even getting over 90 min games on that one. Ugggh. JAWS likely won’t stay in our lineup past next year. I want to see the code finished first of course.

I’ve come close to finishing JP a few times and it was about 40 mins. I find the gameplay way more intense and difficult on JP. I still do find JAWS to be more fun though - for the time being.
Perfectly summed up. Jaws is so easy with zero danger shots and you aren’t punished at all for any bricked shots.

Reactions: MrMikeman

dos.reboot

Nov 19, 2012
Windsor. ON.

Yeah, that's why I sold LOTR and GZ. The marathon games require a chunk of your day for a single game. Both amazing machines, but not long keepers for that reason.

Reactions: MrMikeman

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Yeah, that's why I sold LOTR and GZ. The marathon games require a chunk of your day for a single game. Both amazing machines, but not long keepers for that reason.
Exactly. I don’t think Jaws is as bad as those 2 but still “marathon-y” lol. I just created a word.

In all fairness I have been playing Jaws EVERY day since we got it in late feb/early march. Last night was the first time I skipped a night. I didn’t feel like risking a long game.

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
I wish I was that good. GZ/Jaws longer games for sure but that usually means 10-15 minutes for me if I'm playing well LOL .

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I've played way more Godzilla than Jaws, but I can see what you mean. GZ can get to be long if you can chain things together, but you do feel like you've earned everything along the way. I'd still like to get a Jaws at some point, but they aren't coming up used, and I'm not really interested in paying NIB prices right now. Maybe sometime next year-isn't there a rumor of a 50th anniversary version at some point?

As for pro/prem, I've played both the pro and LE, and so far I don't think the upper PF adds much. I do prefer the shark mech on the prem, but it doesn't seem like a $3000 upgrade. I'd likely be fine with either. That being said, I don't know if the upper PF changes the way you play the game the way it does on, say, Foo Fighters (since the upper PF twins a bunch of lower PF shots, it can make for faster progression through most of the modes).

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
Everyone scared to buy NIB and people are liking their Jaws so no one selling either.

Should keep resale strong if one does come on the Ontario market.

king_pin

Dec 15, 2019
ottawa
The new 0.94 code with Jaws Revenge mode is absolutely great! 16 bit goodness! A whole other game to play and enjoy basically. Tons of added value with the extra game mode. Super fun!

Reactions: Joker19

ritewhereiwant2b

Dec 22, 2013
Oakville
I definitely do not feel JAWS is too easy and my games times are not even close to the 90 minute LOTR marathons I used to have. I am playing it exactly as set-up from the factory, have put one 1B+ score on it. I guess if you find it too easy you can always take the outlane bumpers out completely and take the right lane save bumper out not to mention numerous game adjustments in the menu.

Yes, Jaws Revenge mode is very cool. Happy to see that this is not an in app purchase which they could have easily done.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
It's a little weird that the revenge/challenge modes are connected to collecting shark teeth from the main game. Is there an adjustment to make those free play, or do you always have to have enough on your account?

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
The machine needs to be connected to the internet and you must use IC and have shark teeth. Pretty sure we’ll see Stern start selling shark teeth for those too impatient to collect them. Like console games. Honestly you can collect enough in 1 game if you play ok.