• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Ultra Rare or just a scam? I say BS (link)

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I was cruising the Pinside ads and typed in Alien Poker to access the US only e-bay sales and there's an "Ultra rare, only one known" AP backglass for sale.
It's simply clear with the design in black.
Now to me this looks like something that could be done pretty easily in this day and age especially with some places selling custom backglasses.
With no real documentation/history with the item I find it hard to believe a backglass from the 80's would suddenly surface now. Furthermore who wants to see all the bulbs? I think it wouldn't ad to the appearance of the machine.

I call BS!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ALIEN-POKER-PROT ... 1388600919

sure hope that works. I don't like to log into my ebay account from work. No telling how they monitor my activity.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Re: Ultra Rare or just a scam? I say BS

do you have the link? Sometimes these were done during the prototype stage, probably to test light placement

That said, as you mentioned it'd be easy to throw a piece of glass on an original and just Sharpie it up.

somed00dxx

Nov 5, 2013
GTA
My firepower has flaked to almost that point. I don't know enough about alien poker but I would not believe it.
edit: after a quick look at what a alien poker is supposed to look like I would say without a doubt this is a flaked off glass.
Richard

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
In the t-shirt business it is quite common to print each colour like this. For example, you have a two colour print (red, black). A junk t-shirt will be put on the table and the ink will be squeegee'd through the silk mesh. More commonly, black is often tested in this manner to look for pinholes in the emulsion as black is normally a dominate colour. Pinholes in the emulsion result in ink getting through and ending up on your final product. Black pinpoints of ink all over a white t-shirt is not good. Doing a test print like this and then looking at it allows you to see what pinholes need to be taped up. Quite commonly you'll see the alignment tags or crosshairs printed on a test like this. They look like this;

PATTLNK_1122006_175-enus21504_electronic_alignment_3_C750_en_us.jpg

It's possible it is authentic, but really who cares?! To me it is just a test print, a defect, or an extra that didn't get the remaining colours.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
Ahh.. yeah I'd say it's legit but nothing too strange. Likely a setup piece from the silkscreening process. Like FiftyQuid said, each colour is laid down one at a time. Black would definitely be the first colour laid down. They typically lay the colours from light to dark (with black being the last) for silkscreening, but with this being reverse printing everything is... well.. reversed. :D

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
It's rather unfortunate it doesn't seem to have any documentation to back up the rare claim. As it could be easily fabricated and at one colour cheaper than most custom backglass.
I paint miniatures so I agree it's easier to start with the darkest colour and proceed to brighter ones.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
BMHouze said:
I paint miniatures.

I've quite a large collection of Warhammer models. It's amassing how much detail you can put in such a small figure. It's been a couple years since I've painted any of them, but the process is always the same.

Prime with black, add flesh colour, layer paints on and finish with some dry brushed highlights.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
Luckydogg420 said:
Prime with black, add flesh colour, layer paints on and finish with some dry brushed highlights.

It's the opposite with silkscreening though, you want to layer the darker colours on top of the lighter ones and ultimately finish off with the blacks for that "line art" effect.

I'm not so sure this particular glass could be easily produced the way it is, it has a mirror layer on it as well. That's why I think it's genuine, that mirror layer is pretty much impossible to do from scratch. That said, I work in the print industry and we throw away 2nds, test shots and defects ALL the time so there's no reason this should be worth very much at all.