• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

What happened?

Quatermass

May 2, 2018
Toronto
The cost of living right now is definitely tough. But every economy, regardless of politics, is in a slump right now. Some worse than others. This isn’t a Canadian problem. We’re actually faring well in comparison to some. Still one of the best economies, and places to live in the world. Also, the Harper government had one of the worst economic records post-WW2.

Politics is definitely more boring than pinball though, so we should probably just stick to that. ;)

Corrie

Oct 2, 2021
Mississauga, Ontario
The problem is if you own a house and you want out...where are you going to go? The supply for housing is not great which tends to keep prices up. You have to live somewhere.
most people downsize so their mortgage payment is lower, or move to a location where a similar size house costs less. I think a few might move to the rental market but that's probably a lot more rare.

I know a guy in real estate who sold 56 condos in a new build here in Ontario and over 30 of the buyers failed to get financing. He said he knows a younger guy who bought a condo during covid and who is now selling his sneaker collection to cover the mortgage.

Rates being where they are makes it very hard for some people to make their mortgage payment and over the next year you're going to see more and more people needing to sell due to being unable to re-finance at current rates.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
I'm missing the drain topic feature from pinside...

I hate the idea of being the off-topic police but there is an Off-topic forum for anyone looking for an echo chamber or a place to chastise those of us who aren't interested in your particular flavour of politics. Looking forward to seeing how far I can stretch my cowardice and ignorance dollars.

MichaelQPinball

Jun 9, 2020
GTA
I'm missing the drain topic feature from pinside...

I hate the idea of being the off-topic police but there is an Off-topic forum for anyone looking for an echo chamber or a place to chastise those of us who aren't interested in your particular flavour of politics. Looking forward to seeing how far I can stretch my cowardice and ignorance dollars.
Let's see if you're laughing in 2 years!
That doesn't even make sense.
Give it a few years and it'll hit you like communism!

MichaelQPinball

Jun 9, 2020
GTA
I'm literally not laughing... More confused than anything... but laughing I am not.
Really? You can say after the last 3 years that nothing smells off and the beans are actually burning? Cause horse paste actually did do the job and dog dewormer could have saved my mother and countless others from stage 4 but my hat shines like bright aluminium until the shiny box says it doesn't! What is coming will change everything and only a mass awakening can stop them now! I've got pins for sale GREAT DEALS ha ha PINS TOO GREAT GREAT DEALS haha

I don't know you from a hole in the wall but I can say with certainty you better be prepared for the next round because it's almost here!

Can someone gimme a price on a Medieval Madness Royal Edition? Thanks and God bless everyone!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Steve Lennox

Flipper Ripper

Nov 16, 2020
Windsor
Guys, I don't want to be a jerk, but it's best we don't feed the troll. MQP has historically done this on PinRev, just ignore it, most of it is just way out there deep in the dark interwebs of conspiracy.

As for pinball, I think this is the beginning of price decreases. Lots of things happening, companies raises prices to where they cut out a large portion of fringe buyers, those same buyers would purchase pins and are now turned off by the hobby and gone elsewhere. So you will see pins on the market for longer because companies created a new class of purchasers. Lots of pins also being available and no space, the owners circle got smaller and these pins need to go somewhere. Cost of living has gone up so priorities shifted. Also people are back to work, back to normal, so that extra vacation money to spend it on toys while being on lockdown is back to vacation money. I also think lack of creativity on new pins also pushed away fringe fans as things started to look the same and nothing really appealed to fringe buyers who aren't into pins for the points and code, but more so the magic and world underglass.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
I am really curious to see if we get to the point where the big manufacturers lower MSRP, it has increased so much I'd have to think they could produce less machines and still maintain a healthy profit margin. Given the option of lowering prices or lowering production numbers and maintaining a great profit margin, I'd lower production and save expenses before lowering MSRP. Wonder what the MBA folks would do? I know costs have increased too, but it feels like the price increases have out paced potential cost increases... keep in mind I have ZERO idea what their costs are, so what do I know, but that is how I feel.

Saltimbanco

May 24, 2020
National Capital Region
I also think lack of creativity on new pins also pushed away fringe fans as things started to look the same and nothing really appealed to fringe buyers who aren't into pins for the points and code, but more so the magic and world underglass.
^^This.

Plus themes are either much of the same (Venom), quite underwhelming (Bond), some pricey rerelease (JP30) or reboot (GOTG). Lack of real competition in pinball manufacturing is also hurting the hobby.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
^^This.

Plus themes are either much of the same (Venom), quite underwhelming (Bond), some pricey rerelease (JP30) or reboot (GOTG). Lack of real competition in pinball manufacturing is also hurting the hobby.
Sorry, I completely disagree with both you. The themes and creativity these days are a million times better then the 80-90's. Never mind the advances in technology, lighting, visuals and sound. Personally, I think pinball is at the peak of it's existence. The games of yester year simply don't measure up anymore (with a few exceptions). That being said, pinball machines, like movies and video games are completely subjective. I think Godzilla is the worst machine Stern has made in the past 15 years and Bond, probably the best.

"Lack of competition" also seems like a weird thing to say, when you now have 5 solid manufacturers producing equally amazing machines.

Reactions: KING BLING !

Flipper Ripper

Nov 16, 2020
Windsor
I think Godzilla is the worst machine Stern has made in the past 15 years and Bond, probably the best.
Yes we totally disagree, I think Godzilla is the best machine Stern has made in the past 5 years and Bond is forgetable, I tried to play it and like it and was instantly bored and didn't give it a chance, so I don't have a solid opinion on Bond. But that's the beauty, we all have different opinons, we seem to be opposite, which is cool in a way.

MoPin

Mar 2, 2021
TO
I think Godzilla is the worst machine Stern has made in the past 15 years and Bond, probably the best.
Which one is it Drunk? Or High? GZ is by far the way better game over Bond, and with Bond currently in the high top 20/30’s on Pinside, I am surprised it made it to that level. Time will tell when production finally ends and we see the huge numbers of GZ sold and the lack lustre sales numbers for JB.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
Yes we totally disagree, I think Godzilla is the best machine Stern has made in the past 5 years and Bond is forgetable, I tried to play it and like it and was instantly bored and didn't give it a chance, so I don't have a solid opinion on Bond. But that's the beauty, we all have different opinons, we seem to be opposite, which is cool in a way.
I'm not sure if you played Bond when it first came out or after they did the "huge update". I agree, the game was pretty ho-hum when released but they did this massive update a few months ago and it really changed the experience dramatically. If you haven't played one recently, I encourage you to give it another try. I've never seen a game change so much do to a software update. It's like they added all the "wow" factor. ;)

Reactions: Flipper Ripper

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
Which one is it Drunk? Or High? GZ is by far the way better game over Bond, and with Bond currently in the high top 20/30’s on Pinside, I am surprised it made it to that level. Time will tell when production finally ends and we see the huge numbers of GZ sold and the lack lustre sales numbers for JB.
Well, I own a Godzilla Premium and a Bond LE. With equal access to both machines, I played the Bond (and Foo) more in a few weeks than I did GZ in a year. Sales figures mean absolutely nothing to me. If sales determined what is best, then Adams Family is obviously the best pinball machine ever made. I like what I like, regardless of how popular something is. Again, it's totally subjective... :)

Saltimbanco

May 24, 2020
National Capital Region
"Lack of competition" also seems like a weird thing to say, when you now have 5 solid manufacturers producing equally amazing machines.
It's fine, we have different opinions! We both like the hobby, that's what counts. However, there are not 5 solid manufacturers, imo. There's Stern and the rest. Mind you, I have Alien LV. What a fantastic game! I wish PB would make more of that kind.

Reactions: koji

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
It's fine, we have different opinions! We both like the hobby, that's what counts. However, there are not 5 solid manufacturers, imo. There's Stern and the rest. Mind you, I have Alien LV. What a fantastic game! I wish PB would make more of that kind.
I think the Alien pin captured the theme of the movies unbelievably well. It's a very unique playfield design too. Really weird shots. I find it quite difficult, but love it. (I have an LV as well).

And I forgot about Pinball Bros. in my "5".
I have recently come to this conclusion regarding manufactures;

Stern: Most exciting machines
JJP: Sexiest looking machines
Spooky: Coolest themes
Chicago: Solid classics
American: Best bang for the buck
Pinball Bros: Quirky and exotic

...Anyways, that is just my humorous take on them. :D

Reactions: kevin the 1984 kid

Saltimbanco

May 24, 2020
National Capital Region
I think the Alien pin captured the theme of the movies unbelievably well. It's a very unique playfield design too. Really weird shots. I find it quite difficult, but love it. (I have an LV as well).
Absolutely! How about the sound on this game, incredible! I must admit getting another widebody (I have Black Hole) was something I was quite looking for. Like Pin_Fandango said, playing a Stern after that, feels cramped!

Reactions: ZoomZoomBoomBoom