• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

What would you pay for invisible glass?

At what price point would you consider buying invisible glass?

• I don't care what it costs, take my money!!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • $300-400 CAD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $200-300 CAD

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • $100-200 CAD

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Under $100

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I'm never going to buy invisiglass.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
With the new option from stern of getting museum glass, what would be the price point to tip you into buying invisible glass for your pin?

I have been investigating this for a short while, and with Stern's announcement, I figure I'd come out and gather info.

As a Canadian the US dollar hurts... A LOT

This leads to pricing to become insane on many parts. Especially glass.

I know a lot of people want to go invisible, but sadly most were outpriced of buying.

So, I'm curious where people would stand on the topic. Of course there will be the questions of 'how invisible?' but let's go with an average of all available, from pdi to invisiglass to museum and stern.

Answer the poll with a maximum, not just "oh ya, the cheapest possible"

So...... What would you pay for invisible glass?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
While this is an interesting poll, the ONLY type of "invisible" glass that I would ever consider is the stuff that PDI makes. Reason being, all the other options available are just a film that is applied to a standard sheet of tempered glass and it's very easy to scratch / mess up. The PDI formula is baked into the glass and is far more robust.

That said, I'm also not willing to shell out the kind of money the PDI commands so it's moot. Not willing to buy anything else at any price point.

D

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
The PDI has terrible replacement value. It's the price of a functioning EM for one slice of it.

I've played in a few gamerooms that had games with and without the glass intermixed and I can't say my playing experience was hampered by playing with regular glass, and it wasn't a life changing experience playing with the PDI.

Can't justify the expense. I need to pass on the money glass.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I've got one game (Hobbit) that came with invisiglass, and it's definitely nice, but I haven't found that it makes the rest of my games unplayable. If you want to spend that kind of money on an upgrade, go for it, but if I were going to put in a big ticket mod, I'd go ColorDMD or pinsound before a glass upgrade.

Reactions: Hammerhead

maken

Jan 2, 2014
Kitchener
PDI glass is fantastic (Thanks Brock!), it really adds clarity to the world under glass in my game room. Spending this much on an upgrade, I wouldn't mess around with the cheaper inferior options just to save a bit. (To be fair, Stern HD glass hasn't been tested yet)

For older games, this might not be such a great idea. As owners, we are sometimes known to obsess over the smallest imperfections on our machines. Unless the game was restored or in exemplary condition, I wouldn't put museum glass onto older games.

For a new machine, one that you are likely paying 6-12k for, PDI is a no brainer to me. 400 bucks is relatively reasonable when compared to the cost of the machine itself. HD glass is an apt term for museum glass, IMO.

Would buy again. (PM me if you have a sheet available, TWD is in dire need)

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
I find glare really bothers my eyes, but a cheaper option in my basement was to replace the pot lights with something that was adjustable.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I couldn't takethe hitin the wallet for just glass.
If it was even triplethe price of standard it would at least be attainable.

SUPERBEE

Feb 19, 2014
Newmarket On
A lot of us here have spent out pin lives playing in front of standard glass and i dont think it hampered our pssion for the game any. For the average pin, i think the cost for us Canucks is just way too much for the return !!

Jeff K.

Jun 27, 2013
Toronto
Initially, I only had a single piece of PDI glass (on my MB) and was amazed at how much clarity it really did add.
It didn't take long before I upgraded the whole collection to PDI. In my option, I think it is one of the best enhancements you can add to a pin; and I look at it as a one time upgrade that I'll never have to do again.
I find the PDI glass and color dmd to be two of the two best overall mods to enhance a game.