• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Xmas LEDs

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
I have a couple machines with UV reactive paint and I've been trying to figure out a good way to light it with a UV bulb. I also think it would be cool to have LEDs going around the lip of a ramp but most of the LED strings (like the ones from Comet) are too wide to fit.

I was at Superstore yesterday and they have all their Xmas decorations out. One was a battery powered strip of 20 LEDs in various colours. $5 each. I bought a couple of their purple just to see how they looked. They are in the right wavelength to trigger UV paint.

They take three AA batteries - so 4.5v.

These suckers are quite bright.

I can't think of a reason why I couldn't use these in a pinball. Just drop the voltage from 6.3 to 4.5.

Thoughts?

IMAG3323-1.jpg

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
You could probably tap into the 5v -- I'm not sure a 0.5v difference would matter (BUT, I'm not an electrical guy so hopefully one of them can verify this).

That said, UV lights do fade non-UV resistant inks WAY faster than direct sunlight will. I've owned a pin that was under constant UV at some point in its life.. it wasn't pretty (Demo Man -- All the reds on the PF were light pink).

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Seven if you want to looking for other UV led options you should check out this section on comet's website

http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1842.htm

You could probably tap into the 5v -- I'm not sure a 0.5v difference would matter (BUT, I'm not an electrical guy so hopefully one of them can verify this).

That said, UV lights do fade non-UV resistant inks WAY faster than direct sunlight will. I've owned a pin that was under constant UV at some point in its life.. it wasn't pretty (Demo Man -- All the reds on the PF were light pink).

It should be fine and will probably shorten the life of the xmas leds a little but won't be nearly as bad as tapping into say 12v.

I also remember seeing Brock's old Demoman with florescent pink rings and I immediately removed the two black light bulbs I could turn on if I had my main florescent lighting off. I was worried about things such as turning all the red art on my playfields or cabs pink.

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
I have some of the UV bulbs from Comet and other places. They aren't quite bright enough to really make things pop.

I've heard about UV fading paint. I wonder if manufacturers that used UV reactive paint on their playfield considered this? I probably have 4 tables right now with UV reactive paint (Rollergames, TFTC, WWF Royal Rumble and Batman Forever - off the top of my head).

I think the first one I'm going to try is red LEDs around the ramp on my Hollywood Heat. One string should make it all the way around.