• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Meteor repainted

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
I've been working on my Meteor. The playfield was pretty planked and missing a bunch of paint. I thought it would be a good subject to try and clean up. The idea wasn't to make it perfect, just better.

I painted everything by hand.

Last weekend I got the final clear on, sanded and buffed. I'm pretty pleased with it.

meteor before.jpg
Before

meteor after.jpg
After

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Can't see anyone having an issue with that work. Well done!

What did you use to touch everything up with? And what clear product?

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Nice job!
My Meteor is in similar condition. I don't mind it so much as it has character and I was able to make it look decent with some very basic touch-ups and wax. Besides, it's punishing enough without clearcoat :)
But, it sure would be a game I'd consider doing a pf swap on down the road if they ever made a repro. I love it!

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
Thanks.

I paint matched using acrylic paints of various quality, and in some cases, a very fine brush.

I went back and forth on the clear. Auto or outdoor Varathane. After speaking with a pinball friend of mine who does lots of repairs (and has seen lots of different playfields) he suggested I go with Varathane Diamond Exterior. Someone he knows has used that many times and had very good results. I decided to give that a go.

Since Meteor isn't a rare title, I wouldn't feel that bad mucking up an already rough playfield if the attempt went south.

I gave it a fine misting for the first coat, let that dry for about an hour, then gave it a heavier coat. The next day I gave it another heavy coat. The third day I gave it a lighter coat except for the areas that had indentations - mostly the planking, some areas that had previous major paint wear, and the inserts.

A few days later it felt dry enough to light sand, so I gently hit it with 800 and 1500 grit paper until most of the orange peal was smooth then cleaned it well with naphtha. Then hit it with a final coat.

A few days later I sanded it with 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 - then gently buffed it to the current shine with Novus 2. In a couple weeks if it is cured enough, I'll go at it with Novus 2 again, wax, and reassemble.

I'm just starting on a Skateball machine now. I've decided to buy an airbrush because there are more areas on Skateball with large patches of solid colour. On Meteor I didn't paint the sections under the plastics. I wish I had. I'm going to hit these with white on Skateball using the airbrush.

Purist Trigger Warning!

I am also playing around with making some sections UV reactive (mostly the bright green and the yellow and red scrolling detail). I did a quick and dirty test with UV paint and a brush. You won't notice the UV paint on the playfield until you light it with ultraviolet. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do this, but the airbrush would be required for a modification like this.

I think I'm planning on going with the Varathane again on Skateball.

skateball.jpg

skateball uv 1.jpg skateball uv 2.jpg
My quick UV paint test. I wasn't concerned with staying in the lines as I was removing it later. The paint is REALLY uneven with a brush. Also, this is three coats. Putting down Frisket film, cutting, and dusting with a fine coat of UV would take a fraction of the time.

Reactions: DRANO

kiwi

Dec 27, 2015
Ontario, Canada
nice job. Meteor was the first pinball machine I ever player. I still remember some older kid showing me how to get the game started :)

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Agree 100% on the previous sentiments regarding the game. I was also fortunate enough to pick up a Meteor. Amazingly, I found it has great flow vs. some of the more popular (and much more expensive) titles of this era. Ripping the spinner can become extremely addictive.

Nice work.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I was a long time holdout on the "classic stern experience"... even after having dived head first into the classic Bally of the same era. This was the game that sucked me in though. I began by searching out a handful of the more available or affordable titles and I would play them wherever I could find them. Sure, many of them had more stuff going on and people always complained about the annoying sound of Meteor. When I made it down to Clay's last year and got to walk up and down the classic stern aisle at the VFW, I kept coming back to this one and it was more than just the spinner... the game has great geometry and dynamics and the scoring and features are very cool if you take the time to really see what's happening.

Most visitors to my game room will walk up to meteor and just start ripping the spinner right away or keep blasting away at the METEOR targets. Sure, the more you do this the more bonus x you'll earn, but what they don't get is how the number of targets down has a huge impact on the value of that spinner. So, you've got just 1 middle target left standing. Do you go for it and get another bonus x, or do you stop and realize that, by keeping that target up your spinner is now worth 2000 per spin instead of just 200? But you'll have to avoid all the lit targets and rollovers that will accidentally drop the target for you and re-set the spinner back down to 200.

Most casual players also don't realize the value of the 123 bonus columns. Sure, the more drops you hit the more bonus you'll earn, but strategically lining them up in a row evenly will light a moving extra ball at a random middle target on one of those 3 dt banks.... hopefully you've managed to keep the centre targets up though :)

And for the record, I think the sound is awesome. I love how it builds and builds, making you more anxious as you apprach max bonus and a special. Easily my favorite classic Stern!

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
I also have an Alien Poker machine. I want to put another pinball machine between Meteor and Alien Poker. Whoever plays the machine in the middle will be bombarded by rising, droning, electronic sounds from both sides.

As a side note. I got my airbrush setup last night and did some tests. This is going to greatly improve how I do things. Repainting sections will take a fraction of the time now - and the results will be smoother.

It would make adding UV reactive paint to Skateball a breeze. The only problem is I can't do it.

The original paint on Skateball and my touch up paint react differently under ultraviolet. Under normal light you can't see my touch ups. Under ultraviolet you see ugly brush strokes.

I'd have to repaint the entire thing. Bummer.

Attachments

• uv.jpg
    uv.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

fantasygoat

Apr 19, 2015
Toronto, ON
I was going to post a separate thread but since you mentioned it, where do you buy Naphtha in the Toronto area?

I can use lighter fluid but it's pretty pricey for the volume, and the Coleman stove fuel has additives.

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
The clear is cured and I'm putting Meteor back together. I gave it a couple coats of wax (which didn't seem to stick to anything) before I started reassembling.

I had it all assembled last night but resisted the urge to power it up because it was already late and I knew I'd just be chasing glitches, fine tuning, and then playing for hours.

I did spent a few minutes toying around and realized how fast this game is going to play. The ball floats on the playfield.

Reactions: DRANO and Menace