• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Meteor repainted

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I can't imagine my Meteor playing any faster than it already does. I'd love to clearcoat it but I fear it's just not worth it.
Maybe one day I'll find a better playfield or someone will reproduce it.

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
I got it all assembled last night and got a few games in before a fuse blew. I'm pretty sure I know what caused it but didn't get into it last night. It still needs all the drop targets cleaned, switches gone through, etc, so I'll track it down. I'll be doing that this weekend. There are also some post screws and things I think I'll replace. Some of them are kind of chewed up.

I went with blue, red, yellow and white LEDs for the GI. There is only one bulb under each of the large rear plastics so I put a 6 LED blue strip under each. I also put a 6 LED red strip under the meteor pop bumper. The picture doesn't really show it, but it glows like crazy.

I plan on replacing the plastics and drop target labels at some point. I'm not really keen on doing that now with the CAD being so low. For now, they're fine.

Meteor-final09.jpg Meteor-final01.jpg Meteor-final02.jpg Meteor-final03.jpg Meteor-final04.jpg Meteor-final05.jpg Meteor-final06.jpg Meteor-final07.jpg Meteor-final08.jpg

Reactions: WARLOCK and DRANO

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
Yup. They're the wrong ones. Also, look at the wacky plastic by the top flipper. Someone cut that out of an old plexiglass sign or something.

When I get new plastics I'm going to get the correct pop bumper plastics for the two upper ones. I'm going to try and fabricate one for the meteor pop bumper - something that looks more like a meteor. I'm going to try vacuforming over a ball of tinfoil or something. Then I'm going to paint it in white, black, yellow and red in the same style as it is painted on the playfield. I think that might look kind of cool.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I have to say I'm digging the lighting.
It would be fun to see what you did with those strip LEDs with the plastics off. Are they stuck on the playfield shooting up or mounted elsewhere?

Also, I installed a new set of plastics on mine and the first thing I did was add some of those clear plastic washers to protect high risk plastics like slings and the ones behind the METEOR drop bank and the single yellow stand-up target.

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
The LED strips I used were the ones from Comet. They have the 3M tape on the back which seems to do a pretty good job holding things in place.

For the two rear blue ones, I attached them to the back of the chrome metal ball guide thingy. I don't know what that thing is called. I stuck them high up on the metal so the most light would hit the plastics. The strips come with #44 bulb adapters so I just used the existing bulb sockets. No extra wiring.

The one under the pop bumper was a touch more tricky to get into place. This machine uses the pop bumper type where the whole pop bumper goes through a large hole in the playfield. At first I stuck a LED strip around the front edge of the hole but found I couldn't weasel the pop bumper past it. I had to put the pop bumper though the hole and then put the strip in place. Not a lot of room to work with, but I got it. I fed the wires for the LED strip through one of the holes for the pop bumper light. As it turned out, there is a GI junction under the playfield right next to the pop bumper. I soldered in on there.

The only extra light I might add is under the plastic by the upper flipper. There isn't a light there. I think because the upper flipper assembly is occupying that space under the playfield and Stern couldn't do the standard "drill a hole for GI bulbs" in that area.

I'll make a metal or plastic bracket for another LED strip. It would point the light at a 45 degree angle facing to the rear of the playfield. This will light the underside of the plastic and the upper flipper area but won't shine in the players eyes. There is a GI bulb just under the target so I can tap into that and run the wire up through the hole for the target. Should be pretty easy.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Sold my MotorDome... and strange science... and interflip Dragon.
Sorry, we just can't be twins ;)
I think you should find a Heavy Metal Meltdown

Reactions: eh97ac