• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

MMR setup at Texas Pinball Festival (gameplay video too)

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here is a movie of the latest castle destruction sequence – which use Pulse Coil Modulation (via software pulses to the coils) …

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSFONOypnY4[/youtube]

More updated pics

PFBOARD-e1399108073874.jpg

BBTUBR.jpg

BBTUBF.jpg

RAMPS.jpg

Black and Gold trim

20140501_1353181-e1399099959486.jpg

20140501_1352551.jpg

20140501_1408261.jpg

20140501_1416011-e1399100403583.jpg

20140501_1415331.jpg

20140501_1415431-e1399100337258.jpg

Display Colors – you can now select any RGB color combination to make any color of the display that you want! Simply toggle the settings for Red Green and Blue from 0 to 100 to create your own color … Purple was created and set below … who wants to just have a few colors now you can have 100x100x100 possibilities! The little square on the side shows the color that the display will become.

20140501_1409511.jpg

20140501_1416261.jpg

Flipper Strength Adjustment – now in the control panel! We learned this at the TPF show with the variations in voltage, so now flipper coil strength can be adjusted up/down via the control panel! Settings will be 0 from the factory and you can adjust up/down from there!

Incandescent Emulation – from the show feedback it was clear that people had many different views on what good rampup/rampdown of the LED’s was and different tastes – so now that has been put into software with 4 different settings: SLOW, MEDIUM, FAST, OFF … Off turns off the emulation so that the LED’s will turn on and off quickly then you go thru different levels down to ‘slow’ where rampup and rampdown of the LED’s is a little slower than incandescent bulbs and then 2 other settings Medium and Fast which are in-between. Now done in software to allow flexible settings.

NOTE: this video below was on “SLOW” setting, not sure if converting from MP4 to YouTube keeps everything intact in terms of timing, but you can see especially at the end the slow ramp up/down.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKIAB7xPtso[/youtube]

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Just posted not long ago on the PPS MMR Blog

Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming and Stern Pinball announce Specialty Manufacturing Arrangement

CHICAGO, IL – MAY 14, 2014 – Planetary Pinball Supply (“PPS”), Chicago Gaming Company (“CGC”) and Stern Pinball, Inc. (“SPI”), today announced a specialty manufacturing arrangement pursuant to which SPI will make its manufacturing facility available to PPS and CGC to assemble their remake of the Medieval Madness (“MMR”) pinball game.

CGC, which has a long-standing business relationship with SPI, will assemble the game for PPS in SPI’s factory using SPI’s factory labor and production line assets. The game will be assembled with parts supplied by CGC which consist of original WMS specification parts combined with the new electronics and lighting systems designed by CGC. Final prep, packaging and shipment will be from CGC facility in Cicero, IL.

“We think this arrangement provides the best solution to insure the timely delivery of a high quality game for our customers who wish to own this legendary title” said Rick Bartlett, President of PPS.

“We have a long-standing relationship with SPI and its high capacity manufacturing operation will allow us to complete the MMR games in a timely fashion,” added Doug Duba, President of CGC.

“We’re looking forward to helping PPS and CGC exceed the expectations of Medieval Madness pinball enthusiasts,” said Gary Stern, President of SPI.

###

All trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.
This entry was posted in Medieval Madness Remake! (MMR) on May 14, 2014 by admin.
MMR: FAQ – Specialty Manufacturing Arrangement with Stern Pinball Inc.

ANNOUNCEMENT FAQ: Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming and Stern Pinball announce Specialty Manufacturing Arrangement (5/14/14)

Q: What is the announcement?
A: The announcement is that Chicago Gaming Co (CGC) and Planetary Pinball Supply, Inc.(PPS) will be using the Stern Pinball, Inc (SPI) factory to assemble the Playfield and Cabinet assemblies for Medieval Madness Remake, using both original spec WEG (Williams Electronic Games, Inc.) Medieval Madness parts and newly-designed CGC parts (electronics and lighting systems). SPI will make its manufacturing facility and factory labor available to PPS and CGC.

Q: Why would you do this as I thought CGC was making the game?
A: CGC is ‘making the game’ for PPS and, as such, they have designed, prototyped and tested the game. CGC retains responsibility for the BOM (bill of materials), overall QA responsibility for the game, as well as packaging and shipping. What is happening is that rather than build a pinball production line, we will be using SPI’s. SPI has a high capacity line and manufacturing operation.

Q: If you were picking a pinball manufacturer – why not pick JJP since you already have a relationship with them?
A: A number of reasons go into this – first we have a relationship with SPI as well and SPI has been doing contract manufacturing for many years, and is geared up for it whereas JJP is very focused on producing its own games (WOZ, etc). Additionally, the logistics between CGC and SPI already exist – trucks move back and forth between the companies daily, as well as the finishing up at CGC would not be able to happen if the game were assembled in New Jersey. There is a lot of sub-assembly that is being done both at CGC as well as with suppliers in the Chicago area, so this is another consideration.

Q; Why would Stern Pinball do this – helping out a ‘competitor’?
A: MMR is going to be built one way or another and SPI believes MMR fits into their contract manufacturing line of business, which helps keep its factory busy during breaks between Stern-branded games. Additionally, there is a reduction in market uncertainty by insuring the game comes out sooner than later, which helps everyone.

Q: What does this do to the schedule?
A: The great news is it firms up the schedule as SPI can build upwards of 200 games/week on its line and this will allow MMR’s to be scheduled to be assembled in one or more builds, which will help ensure that we will finish the LE’s before the end of the year – so it basically allows us to get a lot more games out in a much shorter period of time with a different ramp up. The initial games will slip a few weeks to get everything setup to run. Everything assumes of course the timely delivery of all quality parts needed to assemble the game from CGC.

Q: Does this change the plan for Pre-Production games?
A: The pre-production games will now be assembled at the SPI factory, to give the production line a warmup for starting the overall assembly of the first run. The pre-production gets pushed out a few weeks.

Q: What about the quality – are you sacrificing quality by going with Stern Pinball?
A: The quality of a game is a function of many factors including parts selection, design, as well as build quality. For the MMR, the assembly is using OUR set of parts and OUR design. As for build quality, the objective is to have the same build quality as the original Medieval Madness. Additionally, we will incorporate CGC Quality Control people into the SPI line to address and escalate any build issues. Finally, SPI itself has major initiatives focused on improving build quality, which will benefit us.

Conversely, there is a learning curve and a ramp up of building a new manufacturing line – there are people to hire, train, etc, and lots of design and working to get ‘things right’. Additionally, from all of our cumulative manufacturing experience, we all know that a new assembly facility would have ‘bumps in the road’. We chose this path to help avoid those bumps which would translate to delays that we could not predict and thus more uncertainty and delay in customers getting their games at the level of quality that they expect. Also, if you do not keep an assembly line running then you have issues with people not having work in-between, retraining … and potentially quality issues popping up from time to time. SPI’s assembly line does not have these issues and they can handle the capacity of the MMR games.

Q: When did this decision get made – have you been keeping us in the dark?
A: The decision was brought up in earnest in March, and we had initial discussions, including a list of concerns that we wanted addressed (many of the concerns that are being answered in this FAQ). We had some additional discussion between CGC/PPS/SPI management and PPS/CGC came to a decision in early May that this would be the best path for the customer.

Q: Does this mean Stern Pinball will be building all of the PPS/CGC games?
A: This decision is for MMR, that is the focus. There have been no discussions with SPI about building any more games. We will deliver MMR first, and then consider what the market tells us and proceed based on that.

Q: Why wouldn’t Stern Pinball just sabotage the game or the dates, etc?
A: SPI has a strong reputation and the industry is very small. Additionally, this supports SPI’s business in terms of contract manufacturing (assembly), and our customers are in many cases SPI’s customers and visa-versa – the pinball community is a very tight space, and any negatives like this would not serve SPI. CGC has an ongoing business relationship with SPI, providing Cabinets and Playfields for SPI games, so there is a strong business and industry relationship there. PPS has always been on respectful terms with SPI (and we are the exclusive provider of Gary Stern’s personal Jelly Belly stash!). In the end, the market players are embracing the ‘coompetition model’ – where players can both ‘compete’ but also ‘cooperate’ at the same time – a refreshing option in this case which we believe will benefit all of our customers

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Great news. Everyone will get their games at comparable speed to a Stern release. No waiting a year like WOZ's (and I expect Predators for people on the end of the run).

I actually wondered why more of the smaller companies are making these types of deals.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
That's interesting-I hadn't realized that Stern did contract manufacturing on the side, but it makes a lot of sense if there's going to be downtime in the factory. I think this is a unique situation though-there was an existing relationship there, and there's a large quantity of games being made.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I knew Stern was willing to help boutique companies out (to the tune of $2 million from what I recall), but it's cool to see them follow through with it. This must coincide with them moving to a larger facility. I'd be willing to bet this will be an ongoing thing for future re-releases from PPS. Which is ironic that Stern is aiding in the re-release of WMS games lol

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Rick eventually took over at Stern. I know Gary isn't getting any younger

This is nothing but a good thing for pinball. It's growth, and growth is good.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I thought that I read in pinball mag, the creators of big Juciy mellons were talking about jjp or stern building their games too. It might not be that uncommon.

As long as demand is there

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
REVOLUTION said:
I knew Stern was willing to help boutique companies out (to the tune of $2 million from what I recall)

Pinball is big business. 1000 MMR LEs is $8,000,000 revenue. Obviously Stern is able to get what they want out of the deal, and deservedly so since that well tuned factory line is no joke.

I think some of the other boutique games, like Predator, have priced their games with no meat left on the bone, so all they can afford is to get their buds over to assemble games in the basement and can't make a deal with stern (or JJP). Will be interesting to see how long the basement assembly line takes in comparison.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I think some of the other boutique games, like Predator, have priced their games with no meat left on the bone, so all they can afford is to get their buds over to assemble games in the basement and can't make a deal with stern (or JJP). Will be interesting to see how long the basement assembly line takes in comparison.

AND what the Quality Control is going to be like. There's a lot of potential for mistakes if you're bringing in random people to help assemble, and if you're working long hours yourself on multiple games, there's bound to be a mistake or two. I don't doubt that the basement assembly will pull most things off just fine, and anything that does break will get made right, but the real worry is that this is going to burn any of the boutique manufacturers out on making more games.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Dammit, the more I read about this game, the more I start to think about getting one. Still holding out for AFM as the next title...no money or space to have both of those games in my basement. I think 10 is where I'm going to top out in that room.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here are some side by side comparison pics of the different trim color finishes for MMR taken by twisted pins.

243515-i.jpg

243516-i.jpg

A lot of people who saw these in person gave the most positive feedback for far left 'dark steel grey' finish.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Rick just posted this on pinside about 10 mins ago in regards to the final finish options for MMR:

There will be the following choices:

- The gold that people like or don't like
- The shiny black
- The silver

We put out the various options of the black for feedback:
- the black nickel looks like a gunmetal grey and does not look good at all on that game (it looks good and may good for other games, but not mm)
- the rough finish black people said looked like std sterns, so resoundingly did not want that.
- that leaves the shiny black - which will show all imperfections in the metal and the stampings as well as fingerprints, but the masses have spoken and that will be the black that we use.

rick@planetarypinball.com

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Shiny Black on MMR prototype game

245114-i.jpg

Rick said they are still debating levelers in black or zinc

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I love the old school 70's basement wood paneling in the office at Chicago Gaming. :)

That looks pretty good, but I think the dark grey finish would suit it best.

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I ended up cancelling, after playing it again recently (original MM) I can't get away from the fact I like newer games better than older ones and the same money will get me a NIB of any title. but if I was still buying I think i'd end up with gloss black.

The only pre-order I'm left with is RAZA, and that is a ride I'll take to the end I think.