• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

New Pinball Revolution Member needs advice

Simulacrum_99

Jan 22, 2017
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
I also called the gentlemen for more information on the woodrail but it requires work and we had a very nice chat, happily he has someone coming up from the US to buy the machine for his asking price so it will sell on the weekend.

singlezero

Jul 10, 2014
Orillia ontario
I also called the gentlemen for more information on the woodrail but it requires work and we had a very nice chat, happily he has someone coming up from the US to buy the machine for his asking price so it will sell on the weekend.

was that for the queen of hearts? that looked a little rough for that price. theres been a lot of them for sale lately it seems. not sure if its getting cycled. I actually just got one that , its still being decided who is going to keep it. you might if you have a chance.. get a pinball price guide it gives you a rough and ill say very rough idea with regards to pricing but I always use it more or less to help rate a game beforehand. any titles you may see its always good to check ipdb.org to see what others have left for comments and ratings. .. even if you aren't buying that machine, it is a good way to start familiarizing yourself.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
If I was starting out I would look at what some of the more common sought after trade pins.
There are plenty of decently priced pins I have seen in a few trade lists (eg eight ball deluxe, fish tales, grand lizard)
Makes trading up a bit easier later.

Simulacrum_99

Jan 22, 2017
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Yes it was for the queen of hearts and I also found a website called inside that gives approximate pricing and a ranking of what are the most sesired pinballs. Google has definitely been my research search tool for sure. So much to learn and read about it makes me really want to pick up the right machine.
was that for the queen of hearts? that looked a little rough for that price. theres been a lot of them for sale lately it seems. not sure if its getting cycled. I actually just got one that , its still being decided who is going to keep it. you might if you have a chance.. get a pinball price guide it gives you a rough and ill say very rough idea with regards to pricing but I always use it more or less to help rate a game beforehand. any titles you may see its always good to check ipdb.org to see what others have left for comments and ratings. .. even if you aren't buying that machine, it is a good way to start familiarizing yourself.

Simulacrum_99

Jan 22, 2017
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Those are really good looking games from what I have seen via YouTube for gameplay
If I was starting out I would look at what some of the more common sought after trade pins.
There are plenty of decently priced pins I have seen in a few trade lists (eg eight ball deluxe, fish tales, grand lizard)
Makes trading up a bit easier later.

Simulacrum_99

Jan 22, 2017
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Hi everyone, so an update I purchased 2 pinballs in a package deal from Kijij and both are Gottlieb/Premier - Raven and Monte Carlo both were delivered from the seller on Saturday and unfortunately neither worked for long less than half an hour anyway.

On Sunday I had a tech come out and by reseating the connectors on the main two boards on Monte Carlo he got that working again for me. He was to drop by again either today or tomorrow to fix Raven since he wants to bring by a different power supply from another System80b game since Raven is sitting at just over 3 and his was properly tuned to 5 AMPs if that sounds right along with a new CPU chip since it may have imprinted the lower voltage issue from the existing power supply as there is a modulator on it that when you dial it down it says no Eprom 2 sound board found so he is concerned that it may have coasted damage to a CPU chip along with needing to remove the batteries off the board on Raven which hasn't been done yet and replacing with an AA battery connector. Anyway I am enjoying playing the Monte Carlo for now but looking forward to playing the Raven soon too, fingers crossed !

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Well at least with 2 pins you should have a favorite and a dog in no time.
I (myself) would consider an alternate translight for Raven once all the issues are put to bed.

Simulacrum_99

Jan 22, 2017
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Yes I have seen some of the alternate translated for Raven for sale and they are definitely different than the original. I would prefer to find an good original transliteration though as I really like the story of someone random being selected to go on the original artwork- what a great story

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
One of the two biggest issues with GTB Sys80 games are ALL of the original connector pins are garbage (hence the reason Monte started working after re-seating two connectors), and ALL of the grounds in the game are junk and should be addressed. There are a handful of other mods that should be done to try and ensure the games work well/reliably.

If you haven't already been told, Sys80 games are 79 more problems than sys1 games. Welcome to pinball! :)

D

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I think the last time I did up a Black Hole with all the pins replaced and all the mods it was about 40 hours worth of work. Not something you'd want to pay me to do, my rates are $50/hr.

D

Simulacrum_99

Jan 22, 2017
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Oh wow that's almost as much as I paid for the one of the pins lol that definitely takes it off the list of repairs then. I might just have to turn around and sell them to try and get something more reliable. Any thoughts on what is a great playing and reliable pin? What do these Gottliebs normally go for?

Last edited:

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Most of the problems would probably be solved with upgrading/replacing the power board with its connectors (their not built well) and doing the ground mods throughout the machine. The ground mods in the bottom of the cabinet are fairly simple, and the most important to do. The ground mods on the circuit boards are more for bulletproofing and relieving stress off of the header connections. Led lights would also relieve some stress by lowering heat build up and because of reduced current use their easier for the power board to handle.

Header connections are simple to do and very inexpensive but their time consuming. The power board ones are probably your problem, but it time it would be wise to replace them all. YouTube is a big help or I could show you how to do some, and you could finish the rest.

For $50-$100 you could get all tools required and all parts needed

Do you have the owners manual for the game? It will show the header sizes that you need. The best places to get generic electrical parts in the area is either Orion electronics on Lancaster by Victoria, or Sayal in Cambridge on fountain st. Across from Toyota. Both of them will take the time to help you out.

Don't give up hope, all machines breakdown from time to time. As you learn to repair the small things your confidence will build enough to eventually be able to replace an entire Playfield.