• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FS "Not Mine" Pinball Machines For Sale

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
I have to say this and I'm sure its on a lot of people's minds as well but I hate this trend to price things in US dollars. This is Canada and we have our own economy. Since pins are here in Canada they should be priced accordingly based on our income and not to the US economy. Yah my pins went up in the past year but not an additional 30% on top of that increase. Since our pay didn't go up 30%, our pins will actually be 30% more for us from a disposable income standpoint whereas in the US economy, the pins have gone up the usual amount similar to what ours would normally do.
If the Americans were suddenly expected to pay 30% more for their pins on top of the usual increase, I would expect at least 80% of them to drop out of the hobby.
View attachment 4691

Yep any excuse to inflate prices. And if the Canadian dollar were to miraculously get even with the US dollar again the price of pins in Canada wouldn't go down and stay at the latest increase.

Reactions: SuperPinball

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
I agree the U.S influences us and that they have more pins (supply) but they also have more demand as evidenced by their pinball expos such as Chicago, Pinburg etc. Their supply and demand is balances just as ours is balanced yet their disposable income didn't go up or down 30%. Would you have bought that same car if it was suddenly 30% more? I just don't think that our market could bare the 30% increase.

I posted a poll on pinside to see what would happen if the Americans were suddenly faced with a 30% increase in their pins. Curious to see what they would do.

And the new and used car market in Canada didn't go up 30%. Neither 95% other products. I have come to the conclusion a long time ago that there are a lot of greedy people in pinball. I have always had a hard time when selling my pins to sell it for more than I bought it for even if I know I could get more for it or that I put money into and made it better. But for all the good/fair deals I have given people I never seem to get that good karma back when trying to purchase a pin.

zod

May 29, 2013
Toronto
I just expect to take a loss when selling, but I also take into factor that I played it for a few months or so and had my fun, isn't that worth something? it is to me. Breaking even would be nice and when kept to a small community of buyers and sellers its pretty balanced, ofcourse I'm the guy that will pay more than I should simply due to the fact that I need to have it, must have it, that has cost me money but who cares, with all the senseless crap people buy I'll take pinball anyday.

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
I'm not 100% sure but I think the dude with the LAH in Oakville is the same guy I got my Taxi from.

I've seen pics of his LAH and if you decide to buy be prepared to complete a full tear down shop job to make it play like it should. My Taxi was a basket case when I finally got it home and taken apart.

So, buyer beware.

SuperPinball

Feb 3, 2015
Richmond Hill
I just expect to take a loss when selling, but I also take into factor that I played it for a few months or so and had my fun, isn't that worth something? it is to me. Breaking even would be nice and when kept to a small community of buyers and sellers its pretty balanced, ofcourse I'm the guy that will pay more than I should simply due to the fact that I need to have it, must have it, that has cost me money but who cares, with all the senseless crap people buy I'll take pinball anyday.
I agree with you 100% brother.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton

I agree and have sold under what I put into a pin as well. Unfortunately the majority don't think this way. They think this is an investment and that they should always make money when they sell a pin. I just try to be fair in my pricing and hope that other people will do the same.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
And the new and used car market in Canada didn't go up 30%.

Funny you should mention this because a lot of Americans are coming up here to buy used cars at the Manheim and Adesa auctions. I know someone who pretty much stopped dealing retail and now sends 40-50 used trucks a month down to the US.

I just expect to take a loss when selling, but I also take into factor that I played it for a few months or so and had my fun, isn't that worth something? it is to me.

Very well put Zod and I always tell people even if you owned a pin for a year and say you lost $500. If you work that out monthly that is around $42/month. Now tell me what sort of entertainment value can that buy for your family? A one night family movie outing costs more and that is with me buying Cineplex vouchers from Costco too! So for a year you had access to play a pin 24/7 or basically anytime you felt like it in the comfort of your own home. I'm sure those that I have helped break into the hobby have heard me use this analogy and I said if you can't stomach a loss in $ or time then this hobby is probably not for you.

I have come to the conclusion a long time ago that there are a lot of greedy people in pinball. I have always had a hard time when selling my pins to sell it for more than I bought it for even if I know I could get more for it or that I put money into and made it better. But for all the good/fair deals I have given people I never seem to get that good karma back when trying to purchase a pin.

I could probably name a few but I am sure most are aware who the bad eggs are since the community is very small and word gets around quick when someone pulls a douche move. Fortunately there is a new way to deal with these type of people thanks to Chambahz and that is to basically just tell them to "Eat a dick!" :p

SuperPinball

Feb 3, 2015
Richmond Hill
I posted a poll on pinside to see what would happen if the Americans were suddenly faced with a 30% increase in their pins. Curious to see what they would do.

Preliminary results from our neighbors down south show that if that happened to them, over 90% would either reduce their purchases or leave the hobby completely. Assuming that Canadians are similar in their spending habits, pricing pins in U.S. funds would result in most people (81%) simply leaving the hobby.
poll.png

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
This will be going down in history along with Tglover and Brockulo'd.

D

Lots of good memories, friendships and connections made over the years and I can take credit for coining the term Brockulo'd. It got thrown around so much in our circle of friends that our good friend McMean made buttons for all of us to wear at a pinball get together years ago.

8714293179_a678b39a51_n.jpg

Brock has been known to be very forgetful when it comes to selling pins such as forgetting to include important things like the legs. He sold McMean a HUO ACDC Pro and the cannon locked up on him. So he went to look for the keys so he could remove the glass and get into the head but couldn't find them. So I said you just been Brockulo'd

For those not familiar with the term tglover can start here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tglover

tglover is not an myth or urban legend and was or still is a collector but under a different name now. This was well before my time in the local pinball community but I heard he use to hunt down cheap kijiji pins (the same ones we are all able to search daily ourselves), change a few burned out bulbs, literally give it a quick 5 minute spit shine and then list on the forums for 2-3x what it was originally listed for from kijiji. Now we just substitute the "t" with a variable "x" for these greedy profiteering type of people. Some examples of how it would be used today: aglover, kglover, lglover or nglover.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menace

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
The profiteers get branded very quickly. Whether they know it or not they miss out on the majority of the real deals because of it. Most nice games change hands behind the scenes for what we "have into them", or something very close to that. This is how we keep the this hobby somewhat affordable. If you're not privy to these deals, maybe you should think about adjusting your buying/selling tactics.

Or just keep doing what your doing and buy junk and flip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Pfft whatever, wong.. I forgot legs ONCE and keys ONCE in the many years I've been in the hobby. It's not like the drop targets fell outta the thing after 3 games or something :p

Don't forget to use your AZNHOMO discount code next time you order from me ;)

Reactions: Menace

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
The profiteers get branded very quickly. Whether they know it or not they miss out on the majority of the real deals because of it. Most nice games change hands behind the scenes for what we "have into them", or something very close to that. This is how we keep the this hobby somewhat affordable. If you're not privy to these deals, maybe you should think about adjusting your buying/selling tactics.

Or just keep doing what your doing and buy junk and flip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well put, Ben. The inner circles are where it's at. :) IMO, if you want to sell a game for USD to make mad profits, then sell to the US market -- and then prepare to face the consequences when crossing the border to drop it off :p (or be prepared to be haggled on price if they're picking it up -- they get nailed at the border just like us)

What I love is the ambulance chasers who will literally knife you in the back to snag a deal. This happened to me twice last week because I needed to make arrangements to pick up the games. I agreed to buy (and paid for in full) two different games on Kijiji, and both instances were met with angry, greedy little weasels who were trying to mess up my deals. They were actually getting angry and yelling at the sellers.. can you believe that?? You buggers know who you are (and so do I), and you're not welcome here. Our community has no time for the likes of you. And guess what? The sellers were great, honest guys and I game them extra for their honesty. Good pin juju pays off.

Beafraid

Dec 13, 2012
Maple
At the risk of being told to "eat a dick", can we start a new thread to discuss the last page and a half and keep this to pins for sale?