• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinball - Behind The Scenes - The Offline World

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Indeed it was a very sad day and been a fun year playing and slapping on almost every imaginable mod on Tron but it has gone bigbossfan (aka Reg) and sure he will enjoy it and keep his pinball skills sharp. So late Wednesday night I started the painful process of removing the head and getting the harnesses sorted out so the playfield can be pull out of the cab completely. I find it is easiest to move games up this way in 3 pieces due to my stairs leading down.

15182465129_dcb5f122f9_z.jpg

Then on Thursday night, SuperJackpot (aka Barry) dropped off my old Demoman which I just sold back to him last June when I brought in MM. I thought it would be in his care for at least a year which would buy me some time and space but Barry has been on a buying spree lately too. I guess he figured since it was his second time owning Demoman and it was literally last pin in it would be first one out. I usually prearrange "dibs" to buy back any games I sell otherwise it gets passed along my underground network of friends. Anyways, we unloaded Demoman and put it into my living room and he helped me move Tron up stairs so I could reassemble it.

15182452799_fd7f37294f_z.jpg

15182704847_37e666b77b_z.jpg

I am always a bit nervous when I put a Stern back together like this because they use so many molex connectors and the way they feed their wiring harness is not like Williams. For a Williams game there are two trunk of wires and one stays in the lower cab and the other is for the playfield. For Sterns the playfield one is mixed in with the cab harness so you have to remove the sleeve and separate it but the only saving grace is there are far less connectors in the head boards. Even though I am very efficient at doing this I am quickly growing tired of this and lugging these heavy fuckers up and down my basement. Anyways, she's alive and Tron will be missed by not only me but EJB (aka Elliot) who is another fellow collector as well and lives down the road from me. Sadly he never reached Portal in the year and a half I owned Tron. Also my wife was not impressed as all this happened while she was sleeping :roll:

15182465669_e4bca35a4f_z.jpg

Here comes Friday and Reg arrived with his good pal Budfan (aka Terry) to play some pins and pick up Tron. I could tell Terry is itching to get his JM back together and had to log a few games on mine. I hope he posts pictures of his restoration in the Projects thread in a few weeks when he is done. Look at the shit faced grin on Reg's face playing my MM... too bad he won't be getting his MMR till 2015 :lol:

15368899942_2859096f0b_z.jpg

Before we wrapped up Tron the guys helped me go pick up a Judge Dredd I had lined up from another collector friend of mine. Reg got a chance to put more time in on WOZLE and really likes it and thinks his wife will too. Terry was right there to revoke his man card on the spot. Here they are unloading my JD in front of my house and making room to load Tron around midnight.

15182614448_d68acc1d39_z.jpg

15182617858_e3a757c4c0_z.jpg

Once again wife was not impressed this morning because there are still two pins in the living room. These will be going down my stairs with my brother in-law tonight... fun times!

Thanks again to Reg and Terry for coming down to pick up and help. I'm sure you won't miss the GTA rush hour gridlock :FP:

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Congrats on the basement shuffle Wong.
Drano has several garage changes.
Barry has basement changes.
Brewmanager shuffled all.

I am exhausted.
More another day.

Cheers.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
15368196086_531e7c0893_c.jpg

Finally got to move these down last night when my schedule and brother in-law Keith's matched up. We didn't even scratch the walls that my wife just recently painted and had both down in under 5 mins.

Chris Bardon said:
So for those keeping score mike, that's JD number 3, and 3rd time around for demoman? :)

This would be JD #2 and it is a much nicer example then my first one which I sold to Warlock 2 years ago. I don't even know if this could even count as DM #3 since I sold this back to Barry less then 3 months ago and it didn't even find a spot in his game area either. Some other good news is the JD topper clears my ceiling with a little bit of room to spare too because right now the levelers are pretty low so pitch is way off. Regardless I am very happy to have it back in the line up and have a few things that need to be tweaked, fixed and cleaned. Only one bolt on each front leg as the plates have to be replaced because they are stripped from someone over tightening in the past.

15204711007_91246cd027_c.jpg

I put DM back in the corner here which is not ideal but I can still remove the glass by swinging out my P2K PinMAME cab and to get the glass out of JM on the end I just roll my touch screen jukebox forward.

15390897032_ee0efb4560_c.jpg

I think I am done for now and the only thing left on my radar or wishlist is a very nice Creech which I have had no luck hunting these past few months. Knowing my luck one will pop up now and good thing every single one of my games are spoken for and gone in a phone call or text message.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I had some late night guests over last night, goomba (aka Mario) who I met and "enabled" last year with his first pin from WARLOCK which was WCS94. I knew it wouldn't take long but he had the itch shortly after a month and brought home his second pin which was a JD. It's been way too long since he was over last and was like a kid in a candy store (again) :lol:

15419377805_88f1af3a20_c.jpg

At around 11:30pm my good friend Elliot showed up because he was anxious to give my latest addition JD a try. Since Mario is only limited to 2 pins at home he knows JD pretty well and here he is explaining the rules to Elliot and sure enough he GC'd it after the first few games. I do believe I have some flaky trough optos because Elliot's multiball wouldn't end and I'm sure once my Deadworld mod comes in from pinbits it will probably expose all problems in the game. Elliot now regrets telling us because it totally invalidates his GC score :twisted:

15396327186_4dd073cfcd_c.jpg

The main guitar riff in JD is so bad yet so good and it I can still hear it in my head this morning. I had to have Elliot attempt to play it on an old acoustic guitar I had laying around.

15232626169_bff8ac6d7d_c.jpg

After about 2 mins he had most of the song figured out and even Mario was amazed. It's a good thing I didn't have an electric guitar lying around because it was 12:30am and everyone upstairs was sleeping. Elliot told me next time I am over at his place he will plug in the electric and play it for me and even said he start teaching it to his students too!

15232831547_b0ee8b38db_c.jpg

Anyways, it was a fun few hours just playing and chilling till 1am last night. Thanks again for the beers Mario and hope to see you again soon!

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
A couple of big thank you's to go out today to a couple of pbrev members.

I picked up my 3rd Johnny Mnemonic last night, and this one will be staying for a while.
Thank you very much to the member who sold her to me, she will be well taken care of.
Thank you for your fine hospitality. I met 2 members that I had not met before and I always enjoy that.

Thanks to Brewmanager for the assist and riding "shotgun" to help me load up and unload JM.
Walt is always a trooper like this and I very much appreciate the assist everytime brother.

I would have liked to pop in to see Mike, EJ and Mario last night afterwards, but with Walt teaching school early
in the mornings, and the 170th Markham Fair events running for me with many AV systems, it was an early night for us.

More soon, and hopefully we make it to Wong's basement soon enough for Walt and I to take a run on 10 machines for our competition.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
WARLOCK said:
I picked up my 3rd Johnny Mnemonic last night, and this one will be staying for a while.
Thank you very much to the member who sold her to me, she will be well taken care of.
Thank you for your fine hospitality. I met 2 members that I had not met before and I always enjoy that.

You forgot to thank me for the assist on this one ;)

WARLOCK said:
More soon, and hopefully we make it to Wong's basement soon enough for Walt and I to take a run on 10 machines for our competition.

I will make sure Elliot is free to play guitar in the background while you two throw down :lol:

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
mwong168 said:
WARLOCK said:

You forgot to thank me for the assist on this one ;)

WARLOCK said:

I will make sure Elliot is free to play guitar in the background while you two throw down :lol:

Dammit! Of course...
Thanks bro!

That should be in my tag line since I can generally blame you for 1 of every 2 machines that come my way.

And if EJ is playing, anything that can distract Walt currently in our competition is a welcome option...

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
WARLOCK said:
And if EJ is playing, anything that can distract Walt currently in our competition is a welcome option...

Perhaps something from Swamp Dogg? :lol:

swamp_dogg_20060825071702.jpg

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Lots going on behind the scenes today. I can't tell all the other stories myself, (not mine to tell) but this story I can.

A very nice Xenon that I obtained in NY state (a while back) goes to a good friend up in Peterborough today.
Walt (Brewmanager) is taking care of the transport and bringing home a returning WW pin for his basement lineup.

Both pins are in "grail" territory for both collectors.
It is good to see these pins go where they really belong.

Congrats gents.
Thanks.

That is +1 JM for me this week.
And is -1 Xenon for me this week.

Status quo.
Whew!

goomba

Aug 30, 2013
GTA
Thanks for having me over Mike. It is like being in a candy store. Half the time I'm playing one game while looking over at the next one I want to try. I hope you find that Creature :)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
So, I got to meet another PREV member last night. Josh, AKA (Meegis) was kind enough to welcome me over to his dad's place where I was picking up some stuff I bought, and I got to check out some of his pins as well. Fun lineup and some games I don't get to play very often. POTO was unduly mean to me and I vow never to play it in mixed company again :x but South Park was a lot kinder. My first time playing one in a quiet setting and the callouts were a lot of fun.

Thanks again Josh!

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
DRANO said:
So, I got to meet another PREV member last night. Josh, AKA (Meegis) was kind enough to welcome me over to his dad's place where I was picking up some stuff I bought, and I got to check out some of his pins as well. Fun lineup and some games I don't get to play very often. POTO was unduly mean to me and I vow never to play it in mixed company again :x but South Park was a lot kinder. My first time playing one in a quiet setting and the callouts were a lot of fun.

Thanks again Josh!
POTO pretty much handed it to you. It was almost like it didnt want to be played.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Wow, are we ever behind keeping this thread up to date.
A whole bunch of us are "getting into trouble" in a good way offline.

Seems to be a quiet but steady pin buying frenzy going on lately for many of us.
I won't tell anyone else's news other than what Brewmanager and I have been up to.

I drove to the States today and brought home a Congo that I purchased back in August.
I have wanted this pin since the spring of 2012 since Wong "forced" me to learn it and like it.

Walt and I struck Elektra in his basement tonight and set up Congo there for the "fall lineup" in his mancave.

Yes, I fell off the wagon and bought some other stuff. More on that another time.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Recently, (in the last week or two) we also...

Took LOTR and put it beside CV, IJ and SWE1 at my home and set them up reshuffling the configuration for my "fall lineup".
Jungle King made it from Walt's garage (all shopped - thank you) into my office this week, and Elektra was just added here tonight as well.

Next on deck is JM #1 and JM #2 will get set up alongside Lightning # 1 and Lightning #2 in my back shop. Then, GL #1 and GL #2 get set up in Walt's garage beside HS #2.

UHMMM. Then High Speed #2, Grand Lizard #2 and Lightning #2 are going to gather in Walt's garage as a threesome and go off to a new home not far away very soon before it gets cold.
And I believe at that point I will go from 7-8 pairs of duplicate machines to only 3-4 pairs of duplicate machines. I am slowly letting the #2's and #3's of each pin go as it became confusing.

In reality, they are all very nice examples, so no point in keeping duplicates anymore.

Confusing I know, and I am trying to keep up with it all my own self let alone here.
More soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.