• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Pinball Diaries (what did you do today?)

Beafraid

Dec 13, 2012
Maple
Picked up a nice Congo today. After playing it at Wong's house I decided I wanted to give one a try. Thanks Mike. :FP:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Beafraid said:
Picked up a nice Congo today. After playing it at Wong's house I decided I wanted to give one a try. Thanks Mike. :FP:

Anytime, I love spending all your money :twisted:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Beafraid said:

Congrats! Love me some Congo.

Dibs? :D

Let's see.....
I finally got Black Hole to start a game and its playing great. Then I proceeded to set up my container High Speed from Gerry's last shipment.
The displays are blown (as I knew) but the rest of the game was immaculate... so what the hell.
It "sounded" like errors once I got it converted to 110v and plugged in... but wihtout displays, impossible to tell.
I just held down the menu button until everything cleared and added a credit. To my surprise, the beacon lit up and spun around and the playfield came to life. I played a very rough and dirty game, but she's all there and in decent shape. This should be a fun shop.
A lot cleaner than the TOTAN I grabbed, which was also mostly all working.
Just one container game left to try. A very clean FT with great playfield and almost no fade. Hopefully that one is just as good or better.
Maybe tonight.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Finally got around to installing a remote battery holder for my tales from the crypt. I was planning on doing it in a week when I have vacation time but it became non optional. I turned the game on and everything had reset to factory. There were new batteries installed but an old set had leaked before I got the machine. Pulled the board and sure enough the battery holder corroded itself through. Luckily just a minor spot on the board that had to be neutralized and cleaned up and one pin on the chip below it. Anyways she's all cleaned up now and batteries are safely off the board. One less thing off the check list.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377949030356.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377949030356.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 488
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377949072345.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377949072345.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 488
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377949096803.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377949096803.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 488

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
spiroagnew said:
Did you use the patented Pinball Ninja trick of using yellow mustard and neon pink nail polish to clean up and seal the corrosion?

Hmm is there some inside joke I'm not aware of yet?

Sent from my Nexus 4

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
brad808 said:
Hmm is there some inside joke I'm not aware of yet?

Not an inside joke at all! Pinball Ninja, aka repair guru extraordinaire Clay Harrell, has used BOTH mustard and nail polish (I think it was a neon pink colour) to neutralize and seal corrosion on boards in his repair videos. Looks like hell, but he says it works! Anything in a pinch, I guess, for non-collectors who just want a working machine!

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Long weekend pinball?

Brought home Pin*Bot...could not just let it sit wrapped and ready for the move in October...had to rip it open and set it up! It took a spot in the front room beside TAF for the time being with my wife's permission. I'll enjoy it while I can--they will be basement banished after the move (which they should be, to a proper game room). Things of beauty these Sys11 machines...the art and music of the pins really capture the excitement of pinball in the mid-80s when Williams was on the comeback trail (HS, Taxi, P*B, Earthshaker). Maybe once I find a CFTBL, I will work on bulking up my Sys11 collection a little more.

Wife and I also got a free night out on the town while Grandma took care of the kiddo. Dinner followed by drinks at the Stowaway Pub in downtown Hamilton. The Pin*Bot that was there has been relieved of its duties, and has been replaced with a Gorgar on freeplay and an Avengers Pro on pay to play. Slow night, so we had Gorgar and the cocktail 60-in-1 (also freeplay) to ourselves while we had some pints. Played a couple of games on the Avengers table too, and I remain confident in my assertion that new Sterns are not my cup of tea.

Beafraid

Dec 13, 2012
Maple
Had my pool table set up today. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do for my bar area.

Attachments

• 20130904_142215.jpg
    20130904_142215.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 740
G

Beafraid said:
Had my pool table set up today. Now I just have to figure out what I want to do for my bar area.

Very nice game room!
Is that a Canada Billiard table :?:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Beafraid said:

Congrats on the nice new pool table Mike and interesting choice of balls. I hope you never plan on selling it because if you think you took a bath selling your Hulk LE you ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to selling a pool table :lol:

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Last night I got in a package of goodies. Just little things that add up to making games better.

- Installed new locks on rescue 911 and Hollywood heat. Stop those stupid doors from falling open

- installed new shooter spring on rescue 911.

- installed approximately one million light bulbs in rescue 911 :-D

- put in a few leds on tales from the crypt. By a few, I mean 3. The scoop has been problematic for blowing bulbs and I think it has to do with the impact the bulbs receive there so hopefully the led is less sensitive and can take a bit more of a beating. I also changed the two ramp entrance lights just to make it seem uniform.

- replaced a couple dodgy #47 lamp sockets in Hollywood heat.

- started installing rubber kit into rescue 911 but didn't get to finish because the girlfriend needed some attention (not the fun kind either :p).

Sent from my Nexus 4

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Mostly just played. Showed the girls Honey I Shrunk the Kids, then we migrated over to the machines. Showed I kept the right pins, as the kids played everything but Lotr, which I was hogging. Lit DTR twice more...an starting to wonder if I will ever accomplish it or if its mythical, like vacation jackpot....

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Played a shitload of LOTR this weekend, and managed to top out a game at just over 100 mil. A couple of interesting DTR shots though-managed to get it once from the left, but only after the second ball failed to knock the first out of the magnet, but became magnetized itself so they were stuck to each other :) Eventually, I managed to shake both free, but then had to make two shots to the ring again to finally claim it. Second time was just finding it really hard to make the center shot from the right side, which is strange since everything else seems really responsive. I'll have to check that mech again and maybe just change out the sleeve.

I also need to find a tilt bob for it before next Monday-I noticed when I was adjusting stuff on it that the assembly was there, but the plumb bob wasn't (and it wasn't rattling around in the cabinet like I've seen on other games). Just means getting to Starburst when they're open, which is easier said than done.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Discovered how to change coil sleeves yesterday. I did all the flippers in my games and found out it only takes a minute to do so this morning I'm going do the whole lot of coils in my games.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
brad808 said:
Discovered how to change coil sleeves yesterday. I did all the flippers in my games and found out it only takes a minute to do so this morning I'm going do the whole lot of coils in my games.

Not a bad idea, but quick tip... while you're in there make sure the coil plungers are not mushroomed (and check the coil stops as well). If the plunger is mushroomed it will only chew up the new sleeve, and you'll be no further ahead.

D