• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

What's your angle?

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
No, seriously. ;)

I know most games are recommended to be set at 6.5º, but I like mine a little more steep than that. Some games however don't play properly if not set within a certain boundary. I know the POA on Williams IJ doesn't work properly if the game is set within a certain range. Other games, you can't make certain ramp shots.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I like them at 6.8º or the top of the bubble just touching the first thick solid black line if it has the bubble level by the shooter lane. Speaking of level, Canadian Tire has their digital torpedo level on sale for 50% off this week. Great to have if you are leveling games yourself or setting the pitch under your game and nobody is there to tell you when it is good.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
You guys have too much time on your hands, lol :p

Side to side is all I care about as an unlevel machine seriously affects gameplay, pitch I've never even bothered, I just do what feels right, if a game is to slow I make it steeper, I have yet to find a game to fast.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Agreed on the side to side, that is an absolute MUST for me. Nothing makes me more mad when playing pinball... Not even other people talking to me. ;)

D

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Vengeance said:
You guys have too much time on your hands, lol :p

I never set mine to an exact number (I don't have the patience for that), but yeah.. the steeper the better. And it drives me NUTS if a game isn't level from side-to-side. That, and you get some serious SDTM issues (like AC/DC)

- B

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
That digital level is awesome-used it just the other night to verify that my CV is, in fact, perfectly level side to side. I suppose the real question is-how do you use it? I usually try to go right on the PF (between the slings, once higher up), and then do the pitch. I'll usually start around 6.7 and see how that works. Can always go steeper or shallower if you want. Big issue is that shots HAVE to be possible. I really hate it when you can't make things like ramp shots.

Of course, for the time thing, it helps only having a few games to level, although I did help Jim do 45 or so one afternoon. Took a couple of hours for that, but much easier with two. Also depends on how much crap you have underneath your games :)

mark

Administrator
Nov 14, 2012
Its on sale again, not sure if anyone mentioned it.

77568725.jpg

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Don't forget to wax your ramps. That helps immensely.

Side to side level is a must. The game's all wrong if it's not. But that's beef #2 with me. I'd put proper flippers as #1. Working flippers with correct coil stops/plunger lengths are a must (with decent alignment relative to the lane guides). Without the correct flipper arc the angles and flipper sweet spots are plain wrong, and not how the game was designed to be played. Just like when a game is not level I suppose.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I stick to 6.5 unless the game is playing slower than I like. Side to side is of course measured at both the top and bottom of the playfield. I also picked up that mastercraft level... Works great!

Now, for my EMs, I have no idea what they're supposed to be set at, but I've jacked them up on 2x4s to get some better action :)

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough
I find 2.8 works well for me to be able to play longer than five or six seconds per ball. That and I leave lots of dirt on the PF... slows 'er down nicely. It's how I've gotten some of my best scores!

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
Vengeance said:
Side to side is all I care about as an unlevel machine seriously affects gameplay, pitch I've never even bothered, I just do what feels right, if a game is to slow I make it steeper...

+1

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
Bought one of the levels above from CTC works great . Even has an audible sound when level side to side. Did it on top of the glass . Hope this is ok?

mark

Administrator
Nov 14, 2012
luch said:
Bought one of the levels above from CTC works great . Even has an audible sound when level side to side. Did it on top of the glass . Hope this is ok?

I use it on the playfield for pitch. For side to side I put it on top of the head and adjust the rear legs and I also adjust the front side to side as well.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
Always level playfield. Head and glass can be slightly off. You know you will guarantee a level game if you do the playfield.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Slam_Tilt said:
Always level playfield. Head and glass can be slightly off. You know you will guarantee a level game if you do the playfield.

I never level on the PF, it's impossible to find a straight line on the PF so you can never be sure if the game is actually level or your level was just tilted one way or the other.

At least on the glass the lock down bar and backbox offer you two straight lines.