• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Building a Dream

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Curious... does this mean once the building is completed that your basement will be free of working pinball machines, or will your collection span both places?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
superjackpot said:
Curious... does this mean once the building is completed that your basement will be free of working pinball machines, or will your collection span both places?

It will be free of machines, my wife is going to reclaim that space for her Transformer collection :p

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
mwong168 said:
Vengeance said:
I will be happy to store other people's pinballs :)

I can see Adriano taking you up on that offer till his plans fall in place to get into a bigger house. The next thing would be how to explain to the wife how your collection tripled over night once you move into the new house :twisted:

She'll be so busy selecting finishes and fixtures for the kitchen and bathroom renos that my little collection will just go in unnoticed ;)

Or, at least that's the plan...

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
Excellent news Adam. Good luck with the build. Try to get a fixed price contract for the build-out. If not plan on adding at least 10% for cost overruns.

Very excited for you!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I have to look at different options on heating and see what is the best option.

In floor heating is one, but I won't have any water our in this building so I'm not sure how this will work.

Propane or electric is the only other option as there is no natural gas out here.

my plan is to insulate the place really well and then during the winter try and keep it at about 15, I figure that should be warm enough then it wouldn't cause me any issues with excessive warming and cooling from being turned on and off.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
It's a option, but I've never had a wood stove before so I don't know how that would work.

Other then having to keep filling it up with wood pellets I don't know how it works on a thermostat.

REVOLUTION said:
I'm thinking a fireplace... and line the building with rich mahogany.

Seriously though, how 'bout a wood stove?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Vengeance said:
but I won't have any water our in this building so I'm not sure how this will work.

You are expecting a lot of visitors at times, what would the washroom situation be?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
frolic said:
You are expecting a lot of visitors at times, what would the washroom situation be?

During specific large events, like the CPC and IFPA WPC I'd get Portapotties just for the event. I'm on septic, even if I put a washroom in the building I couldn't support 70+ people using the washroom it would overload the system.

For normal stuff like TOPL or anything else there is bathroom just inside the house not 10 feet away so they can use that.

QN

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
I would think that a wood stove would cause too drastic of a temperature change. I was at our cottage last fall and fired up the wood stove. When I got there, it was -2C inside. Within 2 hrs it was +28C......once you get one cranking out the heat, there is no going back.

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
in floor heating can be electric , or a small boiler that uses a closed system with antifreeze and the boiler heats the fluid and circulates it thru the floor in piping , if you have nat. gas then you can do this , another is infra red tube heaters like you see at hockey rinks , have this in my 2 car garage at home for my summer cars , cost is about $1 a day at 65 F

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Vengeance said:
frolic said:

During specific large events, like the CPC and IFPA WPC I'd get Portapotties just for the event. I'm on septic, even if I put a washroom in the building I couldn't support 70+ people using the washroom it would overload the system.

For normal stuff like TOPL or anything else there is bathroom just inside the house not 10 feet away so they can use that.

Well, and at least its 95% dudes so no one will have an issue.

I rented porapotty's years ago, and the same company supplied hand washing stations. They had a foot pump, people can wash their hands and it collects the grey water and they take it away. Something to remember when the time comes.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
frolic said:
Well, and at least its 95% dudes so no one will have an issue.

I rented porapotty's years ago, and the same company supplied hand washing stations. They had a foot pump, people can wash their hands and it collects the grey water and they take it away. Something to remember when the time comes.

It is what it is, every time I got to the IFPA they have exactly what you described, portapoties and a hand washing station, it's not ideal but it is what it is. It would be a major expense and greatly reduce what I'd be able to build in order to put in running water. Id either have to break into my existing septic which would be very costly or put in a brand new septic which would also be very costly.

Have to think about the well also, since I need a way to get water to actually come in.

It's an added expense that I don't think is worth it, considering for 95% of the year it will just be myself, visitors and TOPL, I don't think it's worth sacrificing other aspects of the building just so people don't have to walk 10 feet back to my house to use the facilities.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
You could always build an enclosed (or at least covered) walkway back to the house if you wanted to be able to move back and forth without going outside as much too. I'd hate to have to shovel a pathway through that snow the other day just to play a little pinball.