• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Building a Dream

QN

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
Squid, I doubt that would help much since you'd want stairs anyway, so you wouldn't be saving space, you'd be using more. Instead I think a straight set of stairs would work best. I'd then put plywood on the wall side that can fold down to turn it into a ramp.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
nics135 said:
Giant garage doors at both ends (or sides) I would avoid. While you may get a bigger cross breeze in summer you will also get a constant draft in the winter that will matter more. For me it worked out that the end I wanted doors was also the end that had the least amount of wind. Plus with both doors open and lights on in the summer it will fill with bugs out where you are. You also lose a lot of wall space. You also need to consider mice...those little bastards have no trouble getting in around big garage doors. And the biggest pain in the ass is with both doors open I occasionally get some stupid bird in there and those are not always simple to get back out.

Thanks Pete, always appreciate your advise. We have to have larger garage doors on the front as my wife has plans to also use it for Car storage as well and I want to be able to put my truck in there. It's a compromise seeing as she is supporting me during this build and she wants room for one more car so she can buy something else. So I'm going to need car/truck sized garage doors on the front. I'll also need one on the back as I need a way to get my lawn tractor from the back of the house to the front of the house and since where the building is going is my current path to get from the front to the back I need to take that into consideration as well.

I also plan to put in a few windows as well, and I'm sure those will be fine for when I'm in there on my own, but once you get all the machines on and 30 - 40 people in there, being able to open both sides of the garage is going to be a god send. Seeing as heating is a major factor for winter I'm hoping my general contractor will have a solution for the draft as we have discussed this, he doesn't think it will be an issue.

Also do not forget to put some man doors in (regular size doors). I have one between to the 2 giant doors and one on the side

Yep I have plans for some regular sized doors as well.

Not too sure about the ramp idea unless you want to make this accessible. I would advise straight stairs. The gradual ramp would take up a lot of space and how often do you really move games from floor to floor anyway (ignoring the initial hassle of getting them all in there). To me the biggest problem hauling games out of basements or with stairs is the inevitable corners or tight ceilings etc... None of this should exist in your outbuilding.

I'm trying to think long term, sure right now in my 30's I don't have an issue bringing machines up and down the stairs but what about when I'm 60 or 70? I also don't want to worry about needing help for getting machines up stairs, which I would need if there were actual stairs. The ramp seems like the most logical solution but I'm not sold on the idea, we'll have to see how much room it is going to take up, if I can still fit machines under the ramp then I don't think it will be as big an issue.

I'm not sure I want to go the Jim Wilks method it's an option but seems risky to me, I've seen him raise and lower games with that thing and really all it would take is for the strap to break and then he has a pile of wood to burn and nothing else.

I'm not sure what the best solution is for moving games between floors, elevator would be ideal but I don't think I'm willing to pay for the expense.

It's a discussion I'll have with my contractor to see if we can come up with a solution that will work.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Maybe see what the cost is to rough in an elevator shaft, but wait to put the actual elevator in? Other option is straight stairs, and then buy a stair climbing dolly when you need it-expensive, but cheaper than an elevator.

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
Chris Bardon said:
Maybe see what the cost is to rough in an elevator shaft, but wait to put the actual elevator in? Other option is straight stairs, and then buy a stair climbing dolly when you need it-expensive, but cheaper than an elevator.

Just another thought...If you've ever been to the Pinball Exchange here in Hamilton on Gertrude (yes, I did buy a retail used pin there) they have a lift that runs from their shop to their upper level showroom where they have everything displayed...I don't know how much would be involved in setting something like that up but it seems like a pretty slick system...

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Conceptually I think this idea is a simpler solution than a ramp. Smaller footprint and can be out of the way when not used. Your hoist can be electric or manual. A 1 ton would do it.

hoists_jibcranes_image006.jpg

or

hoist_jib_arm.jpg

In Denmark these use these things to move couches and pianos into second storey buildings whose staircases are too narrow. In fact the gov't mandates these devices on all such buildings. Ref: house hunters international :)

14395756-lifting-beam-and-wheel-for-moving-furniture-into-or-out-of-a-tall-house-in-amsterdam.jpg

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Well good news and bad news on this project.

The good news is, we have settled on what we will be building. We have to build an attached extension on the house, we can't build a external building. The reason for this is my town has a height restriction on external buildings, and the restriction is only 15ft, and that includes the peek of the roof, so to go that route I would only be able to get a single story building.

We plan to bring the extension forward onto the driveway and go back from the front of the house for about 60ft. The width will be 26Ft. This will give me 1500 sq feet for each floor (a total of 3000 sq feet), this also keeps the wife happy because we have to redo the entire front of the house, which will turn the house into a 3 car garage, with the space, we will be able to fit 5 cars (2 doubled up on each other) which my wife is happy about.

This also makes running all the services that much easier, we can use my existing panel for the electricity and I'll be able to rough in plumbing to my septic without issue.

The architect said he will have drawings for us on how he plans to tie everything into the house within a week or two.

The bad news is, I won't be breaking ground this year. Talking with the architect and my general contractor, based on the amount time it usually takes to push through anything from the ministry of environment, they figure it will be at least a month or two before I actually get any kind of approvals, and they figure they need about 4 months of work time to actually finish the building.

Considering we don't have drawings yet and haven't even gone to the town yet, it seems much less likely that this won't happen till next year.

Anyway still moving forward, I think 3000 sq feet even if I have to share it with the some cars, should be more then sufficient for space, I mean that is bigger then the average home and it will be 100% open, with nothing restricting where I can put games.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Congrats Adam and be patient because it sounds like you have no plans on ever moving from your current house anyways as you like the area and soon will suit all your needs. If I could convince my wife to move up north I would in a second because you get a lot more for your dollar that is for sure. Be nice if I could get a property with a barn that I could gut the inside and make into a multi-level game room vids/pins and a home theater room.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Glad you found a solution Adam.
With projects of this scale, a little time to breath and think things through is never a bad thing.
You very often end up with something compeltley different from what you original envisioned... but much better!

Getting there is definitley a lot of the fun.
I've been tearing out kicthen and bathrooms from our new place and I'm leaving the gameroom as my treat for getting the reat done.
I'll likely be opening up the basement walls next weekend. Can't wait!

Looking forward to seeing your new plans.

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
Vengeance said:
Well good news and bad news on this project.

The bad news is, I won't be breaking ground this year. Talking with the architect and my general contractor, based on the amount time it usually takes to push through anything from the ministry of environment, they figure it will be at least a month or two before I actually get any kind of approvals, and they figure they need about 4 months of work time to actually finish the building.

Time to grease some palms!!

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
mwong168 said:
If I could convince my wife to move up north I would in a second because you get a lot more for your dollar that is for sure. Be nice if I could get a property with a barn that I could gut the inside and make into a multi-level game room vids/pins and a home theater room.

I managed to convince mine...so it is not impossible. I played the dog angle, more property = more puppies. To quote my wife:"I used to have to walk 10 minutes to the park, now we live in one".

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Progress!

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 315
  • Front 2.jpg
    Front 2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 317
  • Front 1.jpg
    Front 1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 317
  • Back 1.jpg
    Back 1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Back 2.jpg
    Back 2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 317
  • Lower.jpg
    Lower.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Upper.jpg
    Upper.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 315

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Based on the current drawings we will have space for 4 cars, 1 more then we currently do which works perfect.

I'm not sure I like the position of the stairs but I'll have to see if there is something we can do about that.

I was also thinking that the windows in the upper area I'll have to figure something out to ensure I don't end up with a ton of fade on all of my games, either drapes or some kind of window coating that won't let the UV light through that will fade my games.

Overall I'm happy with the general way it ties into the house, But these are just the preliminary drawings, so anything can change at the point.

Not sure what next steps are, I have to talk with my contractor to find out.

Now I just need to figure out how to use that program Drano was using to see how many pins and cars I can fit :p

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
That is a serious addition Adam! I love it.
Much better than an outbuilding.

If you want to send me a drawing with interior dimensions and the location and size of things like stairwells, doors etc, I can easily draft up a CAD file for you and drop in some games.
It'll take me less than 30 minutes.

Once I draw the file I can send it to you and there are free-ware programs that you can use to manipulate things like pin placement.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I don't understand how someone could be so passionate about a hobby to spend so much money to make an addition to their house. :roll:

By the way, good call on the windows and keep my JM out of the sun please :lol: Looks really good Adam and glad to hear you are making progress.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Looks sweet Adam. The extension approach will be much more flexible in the long run, not to mention look better!

You've got a nice niche there for a big deck (adding to the large deck you already have). Even if you don't build that now, I'd consider drawing something up and pouring any new deck footings during the build.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I don't care if anyone else understands, I'm doing this cause I want to, cause I will enjoy doing it, this is for me :mrgreen: unlike other "passions" I'm not just a "spectator" :twisted:

Will do, no windows in the current basement so no worries there :D

mwong168 said:
I don't understand how someone could be so passionate about a hobby to spend so much money to make an addition to their house. :roll:

By the way, good call on the windows and keep my JM out of the sun please :lol: Looks really good Adam and glad to hear you are making progress.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
superjackpot said:
You've got a nice niche there for a big deck (adding to the large deck you already have). Even if you don't build that now, I'd consider drawing something up and pouring any new deck footings during the build.

That would be WAY in the future as we still have to redo the deck in the front of the house and the deck that comes off the master bedroom so I don't think it will be something we look at right now.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
the idea of an addition is a MUCH better one than a giant steel building on your property.. especially for re-sale value.

That said, you won't catch me doing something as crazy as this in the name of pinball and Transformers.. ;)