• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

MM from Planetary Pinball

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
frolic said:
It's likely that they'll have MMR's just sitting there eventually.

Just like TFLE, XMLE, or HulkLE unless Brock sells these for them :lol:

MM is the one game that I always wanted and kicking myself for not buying one 3 years ago for a pretty nice $6k MM and all my friends nearly jumped down my throat saying that is crazy money for a MM. I'm not really upset about the missed "return on investment" aspect since I don't collect speculating that but because I hesitated and the price got out of my reach and comfort level. The only thing about MMR that would worry me a little bit is the redesign and relocation of the electronics. Will Rottendog be making replacement boards or will they be surface mount components or through hole ones. There is already a lot of stuff packed under a playfield so now with the extra boards it looks like doing simple things like changing a bulb or switch will be harder too.

Anyways, congrats to anyone who has been wanting a MM (me included) and is onboard for a MMR (me excluded).

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
MM is a fun game, but not $9500 worth of fun for me.

Stern just lost a huge chunk of current and future LE / Premium sales.
If PPS can deliver MM in a timely fashion AND pump out AFM, MB, and CCC ... oh man.

Things are about to get even more interesting around here.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Some better pics of MMR posted on pinside

150728.jpg

150729.jpg

150923-i.jpg

Golden Graham

Nov 19, 2012
Essex, Ontario
Brock.
Are you selling the MMR? Sorry for the question - I'm a little slow!
I have a MMR LE confirmed on order from JJP but never even considered the shipping cost. I contacted SB and they were out....but have the standard available. JJP wants 8k US...SB wanted 8k (is that Canadian)? I'm wondering if I will inevitably save more money buying this side of the border? I guess it depends what I claim it as?
Thanks
Kyle

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
OK, so it looks to be surface mount LEDs on that PCB, and presumably all the drive transistors mounted to the bottom on those smaller boards. I still think that having those out in the open is just asking for trouble, since it's way more likely that something could break loose and short one of those out. Looking at the way WOZ is put together makes a lot of sense-you're still getting stuff out of the head (so less wire), but you're also able to isolate and protect the electronics from the moving parts. That being said, if this has a couple smaller driver boards instead of one large one, it could be cheaper to replace just one of them if something does break?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
It definitely appears the coil and lamp drives are smaller modular PCB's from these pics. (I count 3) I agree having all of the electronics under the PF is a risk, but where it looks like these are mounted component side down, protecting the backside of these PCB's would be simple with plastic (or even simple thick card stock) shields. They definitely saved a bit of wire and labor by doing this, but holy what a rats nest having it all under the pf eh?

Either way, it's interesting for sure.

D

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Yeah, looking at that again, I'm thinking of what would happen if you needed to get the castle out. Lots more wire in the way on the new model.

At this point, why not just make the entire bottom of the PF one big ass PCB (or a series of smaller ones), and use traces on there instead of any of the external wires? Can you not run things like coil voltage through a board trace? Might be more to manufacture, but way cheaper to assemble then (and fewer busted wires to service).

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Chris Bardon said:
At this point, why not just make the entire bottom of the PF one big ass PCB (or a series of smaller ones), and use traces on there instead of any of the external wires? Can you not run things like coil voltage through a board trace? Might be more to manufacture, but way cheaper to assemble then (and fewer busted wires to service).

Cut_Bomb_Wires.jpg

I've never had to replace any busted wires on my games but connectors seem to be the main failure point in the wiring harnesses. I'm looking forward to see how these MMR will hold up in the "real world". Also surprised they didn't just find a spot to mount that small board in the head under the playfield. They could have followed Stern's business model to a "T" :lol:

MMR Standard Edition (no head)
MMR LE (with head but it's empty inside)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Chris Bardon said:
Yeah, looking at that again, I'm thinking of what would happen if you needed to get the castle out. Lots more wire in the way on the new model.

There is no way you could mount the coils directly to a PCB, the vibration generated by the plunger slamming into the coil stops would fracture the solder joints in no time. As for coil voltage through the PCB, this is already being done on your driver boards. :cool:

D

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
This just looks to add a whole new level of insanity when diagnosing problems.

So I guess the original schematics won't work for the new game. Lol

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Luckydogg420 said:
This just looks to add a whole new level of insanity when diagnosing problems.

Yes and no... Most of everything you'll need to test will be under the PF, so no going back and forth between the PF and the head. Also means less wire to trace if there is a break.

Luckydogg420 said:
So I guess the original schematics won't work for the new game. Lol

Correct. It would have to be a completely new set of schematics. (especially where they have switched to using all LED's)

D