• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

MM from Planetary Pinball

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
And now it's announced that there will be a standard edition, too, for those who don't get a LTD. SAME PRICE (which is balls) but with no gold trim, no shaker, and no ultra-clearcoat.

So much for waiting to buy a "cheaper" standard edition...

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
There isn't too much they could axe to make a standard edition, seeing as the game has to be a replica of the original. What they did get rid of amounts to peanuts and wouldn't have been a significant decrease in price, however if they would have knocked of $400 bucks or so, it would have boosted standard edition business. I guess it's just a bonus for those that got their orders in a few hours after the announcement. Instant premium for those that got a "gold edition".

Still hoping this, and further Planetary releases, shake loose some interesting games into the local market place from those looking to make room and raise funds.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I look forward to when the market on the originals bottoms out, Nib 8k, so beat to shit 5k?

Sign me up for the beater that plays great :)

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
The mint originals will still be valued by collectors but those routed ones will drop like a stone.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I look forward to when the market on the originals bottoms out, Nib 8k, so beat to shit 5k?

+1 to that. If these continue to be made available, then somewhere around 8k is probably the most you'd be able to ask for a MM. Why pay more when you can get a brand new one?

Even with all that though, I seriously considered one of these, but I'm out for a couple of reasons. I'm already in for the Hobbit next year, so that's a lot of cash already. There's also the "new car" rule-you NEVER buy the first model year of a car, since there are too many engineering bugs to work out in parts/process. Same deal here-they're reworking enough that there are still a whole lot of variables on how it's going to come together. Driver board changes, CPU board changes... I'm sure it'll pass the Williams/Roger Sharpe approval, but I want to see what happens to these things 6 months out (ideally, out on route for 6m) to make sure they're going to last. Besides, haven't they already said that they're willing to make more if this lot goes well (which, by all accounts, it is)?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I'm in a good/unique situation in that I am moving house, and ready and able to buy more pins for it. So all these announcements are good news for me.

I don't know how many new machines the pin community can absorb though. I ran a poll on pinside about new blood, and more people bought their first machine this year than ever before, so it is still growing. But that trend will have to continue indefinitely, otherwise we will hit a wall with space/money and then the prices will collapse.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Standards now have double clear-coat.

So, basically expect them to run MM until the wheels fall off. Just like WOZ, or Hobbit, or Stern Pro/Premiums.... run them till no one wants them.

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah pretty disappointed. I'm cancelling my LE order because there really is no more LE. They are all the same now. Here was the post on Pinside from PPS:

"Just got off the plane, and taking some feedback and we've decided to include to include the Double Hard Coat on all LE and Std MMR's (existing and future orders). Thanks to all of for the feedback and we are working to deliver a really great rendition of the classic.

Also ... We will be working on an FAQ today to collect all of the questions and make available by tomorrow.

thanks for the support.

rick@planetarypinball.com "

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I don't understand.
You have an LE booked. The standard is selling for the same amount, so you're cancelling the LE???
Have they changed the pricing... or are you just cancelling getting a MMR completely?

Getting pretty sick of this whole LE BS to be honest.

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
DRANO said:
I don't understand.
You have an LE booked. The standard is selling for the same amount, so you're cancelling the LE???
Have they changed the pricing... or are you just cancelling getting a MMR completely?

Getting pretty sick of this whole LE BS to be honest.

No it has to do with the $1000 tied up for over a year. I will still get the MMR but I will get the Standard edition. There is no real difference between the models now, I saw value in tying up $1000 to get the extra benefits of the LE. Now the "extra benefits" don't out way me tying up $1000 for a year. That money is better placed elsewhere over the next year. When StarBurst has the Standards in stock next year I will just drive down there pay my money and drive away with one on the spot. This is my logic to cancelling my order. I will still get one though.

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
Is this bad news for the Hobbit? I think it is expected around the same time and I am not sure a lot of people are going to shell out for both.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
quarter grabber said:
No it has to do with the $1000 tied up for over a year. I will still get the MMR but I will get the Standard edition. There is no real difference between the models now, I saw value in tying up $1000 to get the extra benefits of the LE.

This is some pretty logical thinking.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
That makes a whole lot of sense actually. Assuming they keep running these as long as they're in demand (within reason), then the idea of being able to go into a showroom, try one out, poke around under the playfield, and then buy one is really appealing. The real question is how big a batch do they have to order parts in? Given setup/changeovers for making cabinets/playfields, ramps, etc, it's probably a case that there's a minimum batch size that makes sense. It means you may not be able to walk into Playdium and walk out with a game, but you may be able to reserve to get in on the next batch, and then once they reach critical mass, they'll do a run.

Either way, it's exciting times, and it should start making a bunch of these games much more available. CC and AFM are probably the next logical games to do after this.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Well, we're lucky with SB in our back yard. It's likely that they'll have MMR's just sitting there eventually. Hell, they had a WOZLE sitting there that they had ordered extra of. Friend of mine bought it.