• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinballapalooza

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Just got back. WOW! Starburst really came through. That is one of the best PR pinball things ever. Tons of women and children playing, there was a group of
special needs people there, just a great sight to see for all us pinball lovers. General public hasn't be exposed to pinball like this in forever.

Lots of TOPL faces representing!

Well done to all those involved.

Chris

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Don't any of you TOPL people work?
Jeez, I went down to look around and it was like Monday night down there. Way too many familiar faces!
: )
Glad to see a few people I've met from TOPL and that it was such a great turn-out.
I agree with Frolic -Starburst really came through with a great selection of machines!
Not sure if they''ll see much of a return on their time and effort, but it's awesome.
Coming back in to work tomorrow to see an empty lobby where pins used to be is gonna be sad...

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
FYI guys Playdium got paid for this, it's not volunteer work or a way to drum up sales, the festival is paying them for the rental of the games.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yeah, there was no way they'd do something like this pro-bono regardless of the return. The cost to pull this off logistically would be $$.

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
you can be paid paid to do something still be commended on doing a good job. what SB got out of this is irrelevant, they pulled off a fantastic accomplishment that really is unprecedented.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
frolic said:
you can be paid paid to do something still be commended on doing a good job. what SB got out of this is irrelevant, they pulled off a fantastic accomplishment that really is unprecedented.

Agreed.

I think the comments that surrounded this issue was the fact the people organizing this originally reached out to collectors and were asking them to do this for nothing.

D

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Menace said:
frolic said:

Agreed.

I think the comments that surrounded this issue was the fact the people organizing this originally reached out to collectors and were asking them to do this for nothing.

D

Collectors couldn't easily do what playdium could, organize the trucks durind mid week and supply the techs etc ... Realistically this was the best solution .. I can understand the production company trying to find the cheapest way (although offerign nothing was A. Stupid and B. Total BS on their part) and I fully understand the collector community not being willing to agree to those terms .. in the end the smartest solution was the one they used and it appears they hit a home run in terms of attendance .. whether that is reflected in ticket sales is one question but Tommy will definitely get alot of press over the next couple of days.

Now when does PAPA state their goal of smashing the guiness record that was just set (a joke of a record in my eyes)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
SquidVicious said:
Now when does PAPA state their goal of smashing the guiness record that was just set (a joke of a record in my eyes)

Guinness records cost money, you have to pay a judge to come out and officiate.

PAPA has no intention as far as I know to waste the money to pay a judge to come out to participate in a record breaking attempt.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Attempting to put an event like this on collectors was naive, and good thing it didn't work out. In the end they ended up with the best partner and probably only partner that could make it happen. At least the collectors put them in touch with SB and it all worked out.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Vengeance said:
SquidVicious said:

Guinness records cost money, you have to pay a judge to come out and officiate.

PAPA has no intention as far as I know to waste the money to pay a judge to come out to participate in a record breaking attempt.

Smart on their part ... I could still see someone maybe the Texas fest or EXPO wanting the title but that PAPA seemingly has no interest is a good thing

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
we were talking about it at the event today, even if Papa did go for the record in a few months, they still set the record today, so for PR, it was a success.