• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Great Canadian Pinball Tailgate Party

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
In the spirit of "the way things were", plans are bubbling for an annual Pinball get-together. I'm not talking a full-blown pinball show, but something more loosely based on the old Starburst Auctions (or rather, the antics that happened in the parking lot of said auctions :lol: )

It's also a way of bringing Canada's two largest Arcade-centric forums together for a peaceful meet-n-greet.

I'm picturing somewhat of an Allentown pinshow - setting. We can do a buy-and-sell setup like they have there, with most people selling games and parts from the back of their vehicles. We can have a BBQ setup for various foods, possibly even donating proceeds to a charity (or paying for the venue if necessary). Thinking late-spring before it gets too hot.

I think this is a much more casual approach to the full-blown Canadian Pinball Expo that we're all hoping for. Who knows, it may grow to that in time.. but for now let's just keep it simple.

What do you all think?

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
I think it would work . if they supply electrical power outside and weather is nice could set up pinball machines outside . just saying would be kind of neat

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
luch said:
I think it would work . if they supply electrical power outside and weather is nice could set up pinball machines outside . just saying would be kind of neat

I agree. That could be a lot of fun. Weather being the big wild-card of course... but it wouldn't be hard to set up a few tents. I may be able to help with that.
I wonder what sort of venue we could use for an outdoor gathering that wouldn't cost a lot?

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Thinking about the old Starburst auctions, most of us never really cared about the auction itself. We all got together in the parking lot, shot the shit, visited the show room and went to the parts store.

Maybe Starburst would be willing to host this in their back yard? They always made a killing in the parts department during these, mostly because a lot of us can't get to the parts store during regular business hours.

If we only had some members who were involved with event planning to offer some suggestions..... :D :D

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
This needs to happen. I'm sure if a small step is taken, momentum will take over.

I know I'm just a junior member around here, and I don't have much to offer, but I'm willing to lend a hand however I can (grunt work is acceptable) in order to make this a reality.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
In regards to a Pinball Show, (or in this case, a spring tailgate party to start with) let's make it happen!

I have been working on a couple of venue options for a while now. Most are cost prohibitive.
This is the main reason that a full blown Pinball Show here has not been advanced just yet.
It would require marketing and advertising and counting on the general public purchase of
admissions, and I don't believe that we are quite ready to take that on just yet for 2014.

There are a couple of good possibilities though, and I will get back to everyone in the next
couple of weeks with some new venue options for an outdoor tailgate gathering.

The tailgate party approach, like the "SB auction parking lot days" of old, is a much more
cost effective one with several more reasonable opportunities for venues to start with.

As far as SB involvement, this isn't practical to do in the SB parking lot.
However, as far as the SB parts deptments is concerned, I have spoken to
both Doug in Toronto and Robert in Montreal regarding an event like this
and both will support us with any assistance they are able to provide.

At minimum, we could do pre-orders from the parts departments in both Toronto and Montreal
and people could pick up their orders at this event. (saves you all $$$ on shipping costs)
I am sure that we could figure out amongst our members who would be willing to bring the SB
parts to the event from each prospective city.

Doug and Robert may also be able to be present either personally and/or representing SB with show
specials etc., but that would be determined a bit down the road depending on scheduling and the
number of people who would be attending the event.

I believe this event should be in the spring when the weather is nice for outdoors, but before
it gets too busy with other events. Likely, mid to end of April could work. After the Michigan
Pinball Expo is over, but before Pinball @ the Zoo. (venue availability dependent)

I will further explore dates and location options, as well as power availability possibilities too.

We could also explore a mini-tournament, and like the Ottawa show, I could assist with that as well.

I'm all in.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
If the CPCs are running again this summer, why not tie in with that? Most of the same crowd as at the auctions, and the tournament part is already covered.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Totally a great possibility for that with CPC for 2015 if there is to be a venue change then.

As far as Mike @ TOPL had told me, CPC's is at the same church as last year for the 2014 event,
and I really would not think it would be proper etiquette to have a tailgate party in a church
parking lot in the middle of a residential neighbourhood.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Working with CPC makes sense. There's an existing event, which was quite well run last year. Adding some general pinball interest to it (games for play that are not in tournament, swap meet, etc) would broaden its appeal.

I've never been to any sort of swap meet before so I'm not sure how it all executes, but at this stage anything is better than nothing.

flyer666

Nov 16, 2012
Kitchener, Onatrio
WARLOCK said:
Totally a great possibility for that with CPC for 2015 if there is to be a venue change then.

As far as Mike @ TOPL had told me, CPC's is at the same church as last year for the 2014 event,
and I really would not think it would be proper etiquette to have a tailgate party in a church
parking lot in the middle of a residential neighbourhood.

Why not ,we are all adults ( well some of us). does not hurt to ask the churh folk. Maybe, have a food drive for the church at the same time.

LP

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
the church already runs a bbq that they sell from (a great part of cpc was hot food available).

Anyhow, no need to reinvent the wheel, I'd probably start by asking the cpc folks if there was any way to help add to the event.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
frolic said:
Working with CPC makes sense. There's an existing event, which was quite well run last year. Adding some general pinball interest to it (games for play that are not in tournament, swap meet, etc) would broaden its appeal.

I've never been to any sort of swap meet before so I'm not sure how it all executes, but at this stage anything is better than nothing.

The CPC was very well run last year. I enjoyed the event very much and so did both of my children. We were there for much of the weekend.
Mike, Les, Nick, Adam, Tim and everyone else who set up, organized and helped run the event, (TOPL members and otherwise) did a fantastic job!
I assisted with the setup of games, provided a game for the tournament and assisted with teardown as much as I was able to as well.

The people from the church were very hospitable and provided warm food, and a great environment for everyone.
I hope this event grows this year and is even more successful than last year.

A tailgate party/swap meet like the SB auction days, or the parking lot trading that goes on like in Allentown and even @ Expo is a slightly diferent
kind of event though. (I will explain further in a later post reply)

I am proposing a different (new) event which would not only be a Tailgate Party / swap meet, but it would be nice to add that competitive edge
to the event and provide a small tournament which could award points for competitors, just like what happened @ CPC and the Ottawa show in
this past year.