• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Great Canadian Pinball Tailgate Party

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Chill said:
I'm a relatively new member to the community, but it would be great to meet some of the people that I've had some awesome conversations with, and who have been so kind and helpful since I joined.

I'll be there!

Awesome!

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
domino said:
I can facilitate access to a convention center with washroom, heat, power in Hamilton, 90,000 SQ/ft.

I just has to revolve around their schedule. The cost might be free or minimal if it's personal/charity as I'm friends with the owner.

PM me if you would like for me to approach them.

Domino,

Thank you for this venue lead and offer.
Unfortunately, the 2 dates requested for possibilities are (as you said)
booked already for this busy venue. We will seach for other possibilities.
(with this venue and with others)

I will stay in touch.

Thank you once again for the generous offer of assistance.

Scott

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Vengeance said:
As one of the organizers for the CPC, I think this would be the natural progression of the event and would honestly prefer to see something like this attached to the CPC.

We were already talking at the end of the last tournament about trying to make it bigger, get part suppliers and game sales type thing.

The church location is a good one, it's close to a highway, easy access for loading/unloading, good washroom and food facilities. Not sure about beer, as for the tailgate part, it doesn't need to be be in the parking lot, there is no reason it can't move inside.

There was tons of room at the event, and while power would be the most limiting factor I'm sure it is something we could work out.

and most important, the venue was free last time we used it, and I assume would be free again this time, and we have already talked to them about making the event a Saturday/Sunday thing rather then Friday/Saturday.

Either way I think this would be a great way to build onto an already established event, I can bring all the players together if we cant to discuss making this happen.

Thanks Adam for your usual insight.
As we discussed today, I hope the CPC grows this year in every way that is possible.
Whatever the church will allow to occur, will be incorporated to build this event's momentum.

I am happy to be there again this year to assist in every way possible to make this a greater success.
(kids in tow)

Deals always happen in the parking lot, (as we all know) and I am sure that will continue as it always does.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
luch said:
and Chris can provide DJ services , and stage entertainment .

Anabolic Frolic was "sick" back in the day!
Chris still performing these days for crowds?

Thunderstorm and I both still play for large crowds of hundreds / thousands when possible.
More rare now as I get older with family requirements, but lots of members are great performers here.

And you think Menace is just the resident tech here..... heh.... Amazing performer.....Master of the mix...

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Vengeance said:
mwong168 said:
Vengeance said:
and we have already talked to them about making the event a Saturday/Sunday thing rather then Friday/Saturday.

You are aware what happens on Sunday at a church typically right? :p

Yes, but mass is only from 9 - 10, last year we still did the cleanup on Sunday around noon.

CPC would open around noon on the Sunday so it wouldn't overlap with mass.

Sweet possibilities for Sunday in 2014 then.

Mass is Catholic.
Service is United.
FYI - (Just for the detail oriented)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
brad808 said:
I vote for Hamilton because it's a lot closer to me :-D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hamilton is a great possibility in the future.
Hamilton, Niagara, Windsor are our best possibilities
for our US friends to come up and visit for a show down the road.

It will likely be a while yet before many of them would do that though.
We have to come up with a huge reason for them to do that in the future.
As yet, there is no real reason for them to travel north to visit unless a friend asks.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
DRANO said:
Hamilton is also further for any Ottawa and QC people we'd hope to get. Maybe an extra hour to 90 min when compared to an East end GTA location.
But the offer of a proper convention space for free (or even at a greatly reduced rate) is VERY tempting. Hmmmmm.

Drano is right on the mony here!
This is a gathering that used to occur @ auctions.

Montreal, Ottawa, GTA and much of Ontario enthusiasts all attended in the past.

This event would be meant to recreate that gathering from the past. I think it will work.

All the very best.

More soon.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
In summary, this thread was created by Brock because we are thinking about our past history and our involvement in this hobby.

Brock and Sparky touched on this subject on maaca on Sparky's "Whatever Happened to..??" thread.
Brock and Ian were friends long before I knew either one of them. We are all still friends now.

A gathering is long over due in this province. Many of us have traveled to QC many times in
the last 2 years for many events and to take pins there, and to bring pins here.

None of that will change anytime soon in the near future.

It is simply our turn to host an event for everyone to
come from anywhere and everywhere to somewhere
kinda/sorta near here where it makes good sense.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
WARLOCK said:
In summary, this thread was created by Brock because we are thinking about our past history and our involvement in this hobby.

Brock and Sparky touched on this subject on maaca on Sparky's "Whatever Happened to..??" thread.
Brock and Ian were friends long before I knew either one of them. We are all still friends now.

A gathering is long over due in this province. Many of us have traveled to QC many times in
the last 2 years for many events and to take pins there, and to bring pins here.

None of that will change anytime soon in the near future.

It is simply our turn to host an event for everyone to
come from anywhere and everywhere to somewhere
kinda/sorta near here where it makes good sense.

My sentiments exactly, Scott!

I'm bumping this up in the spirit of "keeping the (pin)ball rolling"

This will happen, I don't care if it's 2 people, 20 people or 200 people. :)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Well I have an opportunity to present to everyone here if they are interested.

I've been having conversations with a marketing manager over at Creative arts brewing about putting on a arcade/pinball show/tournament.

We just locked down the dates yesterday and I planned to start the ball rolling to get the community involved.

The event will be taking place on April 25th and 26th at the SPiN bar downtown.

There is a large event space at SPiN and the idea is to create a show of sorts with a bunch of free play games for everyone to enjoy, and on the Saturday hold a one day tournament for everyone.

This seems like a good opportunity as it comes with a sponsor, the space will be free, and I'm talking with them about perks for bringing machines, say cases of beer or drink vouchers at the bar for machines brought. I also see no reason that machines couldn't be sold at the event.

To me this sounds like as good a fit as you are going to get, a bar atmosphere with pinball and arcade games to play, with time to just hang out and shoot the shit and enjoy a few drinks.

Either way if you want to take this opportunity and use it or not, the event will be happening, it success will depend on the rest of the local community, but it will happen.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Awesome!
Spin is a great space.

The location is a little 'hairy' to get in and out of, being right in the heart of downtown, but what a great opportunity! Adam, do you know what their parking/loading area setup is like?
I'd be willing to bring down a game or two if I can get help with transport.

AA

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Haha that's a GREAT location. Right near where I used to work (on Wellington Street).

The only thing is parking could be a problem. .. and maybe loading / unloading. Is there a side entrance for that sorta stuff?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I still have to figure out the loading/unloading situation.

I just got the email yesterday that the management at collective arts brewing was on board, and SPiN had given us same dates to use for the event.

Next steps is finding out how the loading/unloading situation will work, I assume they have to have something as a bar that serves food, but I've never been there so I don't know at this point.

Then I want to lock down "perks" for bringing machines, and it is not going to be limited to just pinball, arcade, Foosball, anything and everything will be welcome that you would find at your local arcade (When they existed).

But I will keep everyone in the loop as this progresses.

eh97ac

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga
REVOLUTION said:
Haha that's a GREAT location. Right near where I used to work (on Wellington Street).

The only thing is parking could be a problem. .. and maybe loading / unloading. Is there a side entrance for that sorta stuff?

Great place, not too deep into the core, parking is a cinch all around, cheapest is the Green P under 550 Front St. Pin delivery would be easy too with access from Wellington and I believe there is a loading dock...although not sure if it leads into Spin.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
This small downtown "game room show" is an awesome development...something we can all get behind and perhaps it will grow into an actual Toronto area annual event! However I think this would be something totally different than what the OPs had in mind for their cooler beers and shootin' the shit in a parking lot type get-together.