• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Great Canadian Pinball Tailgate Party

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
luch said:
tim.sanderson said:
WARLOCK said:
In regards to a Pinball Show, (or in this case, a spring tailgate party to start with) let's make it happen!
I have nothing to say that would improve on this comment!
I have the answer " I'll bring the beer "

For those of you that have not attended a Tailgate party / swap meet,
Luch makes a very good point right here.

However we proceed with an event like this, this is a factor, along with
BBQ's and hot food / washroom facilities that are all factors that really
need to be taken into account to plan a really truly great event.

I am all for a great gathering and a great time, but venue is key and safety
is first and foremost.

The reason I would hesitate to even ask the church about their parking lot
@ CPC is that it is a liability issue that cannot be controlled by the church.
For what happens in their parking lot, it isn't fair to ask them to take a
risk like that given that they were such gracious hosts last year.

***For those of you unfamiliar with events like this, you also need to take into
account how many vehicles and trailers therewill be at a gathering like this.***
It always impresses me how many vehicles, trucks, trailers and minivans all with
pins, vids and parts all show up at these events.

I suggested mid-April for a new event date for several reasons.

1) It is 3 months prior to the CPC for an event, and in no way should affect the CPC for attendance and it's success.
2) It is 5 months prior to the Ottawa Pinball Show, and it should not detract from that event and it's success either.
3) There are no other major Pinball events (tournaments) on in mid-April when I proposed the dates for this gatherng.

So, if we set up a tournament like the CPC and the Ottawa Show, we will draw a larger crowd and add one more element
for people who attend to enjoy. (I would discuss the rules in advance with Vengeeance) just like Sparky and I did when we
ran the Ottawa Pinball Show tournament this year so Adam could award points for it afterward. Plus, we add another competitive
pinball event in Ontario.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
DRANO said:
luch said:
I think it would work . if they supply electrical power outside and weather is nice could set up pinball machines outside . just saying would be kind of neat

I agree. That could be a lot of fun. Weather being the big wild-card of course... but it wouldn't be hard to set up a few tents. I may be able to help with that.
I wonder what sort of venue we could use for an outdoor gathering that wouldn't cost a lot?

Drano,

The tents could and would be really handy.
I am working on a couple of venue options that would be appropriate.
Your help will be greatly appreciated when the time comes.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
ThunderStorm said:
I might have tents... sound systems... fun food machines... generators... and some other things.
I might be able to help

http://Www.thunderstormpro.com

Eric,

Fantastic offer. Between you and I, (and Drano with tents) most of the "RENTAL" type items we would require for an event
of this nature are relatively straight forward to be provided by your company and mine.

Maybe you would spin some tunes for a little party for our kids as well!

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Ancient Games said:
I'll be there with the kids! If I have a baby sitter I'll be there with stuff!

Oh, and is arade stuff ok too?

Mike,

I will be there with the kids too! It will be a good time.
Pins, arcade stuff, vids etc. would all be welcome for whatever we feel is appropriate.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
luch said:
I think it would work . if they supply electrical power outside and weather is nice could set up pinball machines outside . just saying would be kind of neat

Luch,

This comment made me think of suggesting we should add a tournament element to this gathering. Some people will travel
and attend for the sole reason that there is a tournament available.

Thunderstorm and I both own generators, so this is something that could be accomplished one way or another.
Great suggestion.

Chill

Apr 11, 2013
Guelph
I'm a relatively new member to the community, but it would be great to meet some of the people that I've had some awesome conversations with, and who have been so kind and helpful since I joined.

I'll be there!

domino

Nov 20, 2013
Hamilton
I can facilitate access to a convention center with washroom, heat, power in Hamilton, 90,000 SQ/ft.

I just has to revolve around their schedule. The cost might be free or minimal if it's personal/charity as I'm friends with the owner.

PM me if you would like for me to approach them.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
domino said:
I can facilitate access to a convention center with washroom, heat, power in Hamilton, 90,000 SQ/ft.

I just has to revolve around their schedule. The cost might be free or minimal if it's personal/charity as I'm friends with the owner.

A free venue? well that changes everything! Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode:

Newman: It's the truck, Kramer. The truck!
Kramer: Look, Newman, I told you to let this thing go.
Newman: No, no, no, no no. Listen to me. Most days, the post office sends one truckload of mail to the second domestic regional sorting facility in Saginaw, Michigan.
Kramer: (interested) Uh-huh.
Newman: But, on the week before holidays, we see a surge. On Valentine's Day, we send two trucks. On Christmas, four, packed to the brim. And tomorrow, if history is any guide, will see some spillover into a fifth truck.
Kramer: (realization) Mother's Day.
Newman: The mother of all mail days. And guess who signed up for the truck.
Kramer: A free truck? Oh boy, that completely changes our cost structure. Our G and A goes down fifty percent.
Newman: (excited) We carry a couple of bags of mail, and the rest is ours!
Kramer: Newman, you magnificent bastard, you did it!
Newman: (triumph) Let the collecting begin!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
As one of the organizers for the CPC, I think this would be the natural progression of the event and would honestly prefer to see something like this attached to the CPC.

We were already talking at the end of the last tournament about trying to make it bigger, get part suppliers and game sales type thing.

The church location is a good one, it's close to a highway, easy access for loading/unloading, good washroom and food facilities. Not sure about beer, as for the tailgate part, it doesn't need to be be in the parking lot, there is no reason it can't move inside.

There was tons of room at the event, and while power would be the most limiting factor I'm sure it is something we could work out.

and most important, the venue was free last time we used it, and I assume would be free again this time, and we have already talked to them about making the event a Saturday/Sunday thing rather then Friday/Saturday.

Either way I think this would be a great way to build onto an already established event, I can bring all the players together if we cant to discuss making this happen.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
The CPC date is a good one as well. Prime summer. Mid-April still risks weather issues.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Vengeance said:
and we have already talked to them about making the event a Saturday/Sunday thing rather then Friday/Saturday.

You are aware what happens on Sunday at a church typically right? :p

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
mwong168 said:
Vengeance said:
and we have already talked to them about making the event a Saturday/Sunday thing rather then Friday/Saturday.

You are aware what happens on Sunday at a church typically right? :p

Yes, but mass is only from 9 - 10, last year we still did the cleanup on Sunday around noon.

CPC would open around noon on the Sunday so it wouldn't overlap with mass.

domino

Nov 20, 2013
Hamilton
I can see it now... As the AC/DC and Metallica's enter the Church, they ignite into flames! Hell's Bells! :evil: :evil:

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
domino said:

That is AWESOME and I appreciate you even presenting the notion to us. Will definitely keep this in mind.

Bottom line is, south/central Ontario *NEEDS* an annual premiere Pinball event. We just have to start small to get there. :)

(and yes I'm aware of the Ottawa show)

Honestly, I'd encourage every major city across the country to do a small gathering like this at some point. At the very least, it's great to put faces to the online personalities.

- B

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Hamilton is also further for any Ottawa and QC people we'd hope to get. Maybe an extra hour to 90 min when compared to an East end GTA location.
But the offer of a proper convention space for free (or even at a greatly reduced rate) is VERY tempting. Hmmmmm.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
The event that is proposed, is not a competition event. (A tourney is an added bonus for many, as Luch hinted, and I suggested we try to add as well)
I 100% support the CPC event + the Ottawa Pinball Show! I will do the same for both events again this year as I did last year, regardless of this new one.
Both events will grow, with or without this one. Both should promote at this event to grow their own events. (I will speak to TOPL and Josh very soon)

This event is one of comradery. (not competing)

It is a gathering of the many. (from far and wide)

It is one born of friendship, of travel and of a history!

Meeting, greeting and laughing, (cursing) and a tiny little
bit more than one would suspect, I am quite sure of that.

That will do for now.

More later.