• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The OFFICIAL "Hey, I got a new machine" thread

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Oh boy. Ahhh. Lots of activity regularly. These are some of those pins.
Grand Lizard. (#4-5?) Wiggler. (#1) Jack's Open. (#2) Spanish Eyes. (#2)
Took several months and at least several pins left including many newer Sterns.
They (passed through my hands) and Farfalla + Lightning left for Quebec + returns.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I sold my Medusa not too long ago. Neat game for sure.

Here's another new addition.
Just got it on legs and just taking a look at the playfield while I also dealing with some board and transformer issues.

Needs a good top-shop but playfield and parts all look pretty tight. It should clean up real nice!

20160514_230812.jpg

Reactions: WARLOCK

Seven

Oct 6, 2015
Prince Edward Island
www.pinballorama.com
Very nice... Got to play this for the first time at the Ann Arbor show last month and really enjoyed it. I've got my eyes peeled for one myself. Any plans on a CPR playfield swap?

If I had plans for this to be in my personal collection, maybe. Since this will be a public game, probably not. This playfield was touched up and clear coated, is smooth and looks good. It should be fine as is.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Simple

Offer more money than everyone else.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Well done Adam!
As soon as I saw the ad I knew there would be a million guys trying to lowball this seller to see if he didn't know what he had on his hands.
I don't think this guy was running an "auction". If that were the case the machine would probably still be in his hands as he took more and more offers.

Sometimes it's just about making the right offer and causing the seller the least amount of hassle.
For something this rare, you don't mess around. This might be the only SG I've seen posted for sale publicly since I've been collecting.
I was lucky to find one within a few months of starting my search, but I can count on one hand how many have changed hands in Ontario/QC in the last 10 years. Looking forward to restoring mine later this year.

Congrats!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
This might be the only SG I've seen posted for sale publicly since I've been collecting.
I was lucky to find one within a few months of starting my search, but I can count on one hand how many have changed hands in Ontario/QC in the last 10 years.

LOL, and 4 of those (maybe it was only 3?) would have been one of the many I managed to locate and pass along. :)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Well done Adam!
As soon as I saw the ad I knew there would be a million guys trying to lowball this seller to see if he didn't know what he had on his hands.
I don't think this guy was running an "auction". If that were the case the machine would probably still be in his hands as he took more and more offers.

Sometimes it's just about making the right offer and causing the seller the least amount of hassle.
For something this rare, you don't mess around. This might be the only SG I've seen posted for sale publicly since I've been collecting.
I was lucky to find one within a few months of starting my search, but I can count on one hand how many have changed hands in Ontario/QC in the last 10 years. Looking forward to restoring mine later this year.

Congrats!

The guy was just some rando, it was his only machine and he had no idea what he had. He got the game from his father in law when they downsized their house and he said it hadn't worked in 16 years or so. He has no idea where his father in law got it.

I talked to him about the offers he was getting, he said in the time it took for me to drive from Keswick he got 35 emails about the game.

Offers as low as $300. Although the $300 guy he said went from $300, to $500, to $1000, to $1500. The usual suspect of ambulance chasers and the like.

I knew what market value was so I went in high at $2500 for the machine as that is what the last one that was working and in nice shape that I know of sold for recently.

Once I got pics and saw the wear and saw it wasn't booting I came down in price to $2000 which was still higher than everyone else bidding.

I still think it was a bit overpriced but I checked with MrNiceGuy as his SG was the first one I missed and I asked him when he sold that one, and that was back in 2011 so it has literally been 5 years of searching for this game.

But this is the perfect example of the market today I knew I wanted the game and I didn't care that I had to overpay a bit, I knew there was going to be competition for the game so I knew I had to go in high to even have a chance. It's a sellers market for sure out there and if I was just another person offering $1500 for the machine, no guarantees I'd get it.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
So what is it that's so great about Stargazer?

It shoots beautifully, the ruleset is good (if you get the home ROM you can fix the bonus issue from ball to ball) and is just a ton of fun to play. Couple all that with a nice art package and low productoin numbers and you get an idea as to why this game commands the money it does. (not to mention finding one in really nice shape isn't easy either)

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
So what is it that's so great about Stargazer?

Besides it's rarity, I'm sure most people would say the art package is second to none.

For me I really like the playablity. The lack of inlanes and the circular area around the flippers is very unique and makes for some challenging ball control.

It's also a shooters game where accuracy and timing matter

Also from this era of game I love spinner games, and this is the ultimate spinner game, all the spinners matter and make up the majority of scoring in the game.

To me that is what makes the game fun, also I'm trying to put together a really nice classic Stern lineup and Stargazer is kinda the crown jewel in that lot.

Everyone will get to enjoy it shortly, insulation should be done today and then I'll be putting in the mass call to help with the move in, and this game has now moved to the top of my project pile.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Besides it's rarity, I'm sure most people would say the art package is second to none.

For me I really like the playablity. The lack of inlanes and the circular area around the flippers is very unique and makes for some challenging ball control.

It's also a shooters game where accuracy and timing matter

Also from this era of game I love spinner games, and this is the ultimate spinner game, all the spinners matter and make up the majority of scoring in the game.

To me that is what makes the game fun, also I'm trying to put together a really nice classic Stern lineup and Stargazer is kinda the crown jewel in that lot.

Everyone will get to enjoy it shortly, insulation should be done today and then I'll be putting in the mass call to help with the move in, and this game has now moved to the top of my project pile.

What he said ^^^ :)

I used to avoid classic Stern pins and, after grabbing my first Meteor last year I have gained a newfound respect for most of these pins. They have simple and fun objectives and, while there is usually one scoring strategy that is most lucrative, the scoring opportunities tend to change depending on what's happening at any given moment and, all of a sudden, your right spinner is worth 2000 per spin (vs. 200), or completing that 3 bank is worth 100K. So, not only are these games fast, flowing and have cool art +sounds, but they keep you on your toes and force you to make a lot of decisions.

Since 2015 I've been fortunate enough to build on that first Meteor purchase and add Star Gazer, Sea Witch and most recently, Quicksilver.
All fun games with their own unique challenges and rule sets.

When most people come over and try these, SG is definitely the one that they gravitate to