• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The OFFICIAL "Hey, I got a new machine" thread

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well, this is what happens when you commit to the same game from two different sellers.
Quicksilver doesn't exactly grow on trees so I just went ahead and bought both :D

Submitted for your approval... QS #2

20160606_201123.jpg

Reactions: WARLOCK

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Grand Lizard (#5?) on the floor @ Bluffs Pinball.
I think it was #2 or # 3 originally, but only Drano may now know...

And, Big Hit (from Spiroagnew + myself + Drano) + Quebec friends: is on the floor.
And Golden Arrow is "finally on the floor" thanks to Cooke fixing her and Drano finding her.

Thank you to everyone. This is over likely 12 months of "hunting and gathering" and doing what we do.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
It' finally mine!!!
Only the coolest woodrail ever!!!! :D

After years of lusting after this machine, the owner finally let me have it. I'm super lucky... there are just a handful of these left on the planet.
I love the pre-spaceflight era artwork. These Williams EMs were primarily used for gambling. It was technically illegal, but they come with a second "knock down" button underneath that clears out credits earned because they were cashed in for money rather than being played.

This early Harry Williams design features a wireform ramp that is fed by a kicker and takes the ball to a series of scoops where the player can hopefully move them back into play. The 8 left rollover lanes feed a left lane with an auto-plunger at the bottom that kicks the ball back into play.
There is only one impulse flipper, but also a hidden slingshot kicker to the right of it. It doesn't really hurt the game-play and you'll need that right hand free for all the nudging you'll be doing anyway :)

If you're skillful enough to get all 8 lanes, the middle saucer lights up for bonus collection. I can't think of too many 50's woodrails with wire ramps, auto kickers, ball lock/releases and a bonus feature. It's pretty bad ass!
My next challenge will be getting this glass to Steve at BGresto for reproduction.

20160610_221904.jpg

20160610_221908.jpg

Last edited:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
That's definitely a unique piece, and it does look cool. Something different that's not quite pinball I suppose.

No quite pinball?
Well, it's got a flipper, kickers, ramp, rollover lanes, saucers, pop-bumpers, bonus scoring..... I can go on and on.
Maybe it just needs a colorDMD to qualify :D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
What is the flipper at the top left?

I'm not sure? I don't think it's factory.
There are only images of maybe 2-3 other examples online and none of them have it. Maybe it was placed there to prevent ball hangups? Although, I have no idea how a ball would get there.

I will likely be removing it once I get down to my restoration.
Another funny quirk is the SPOT insert next to the #7 lane. It's white instead of green like the others. It's also factory.
I suppose they ran out of green? Seem an odd spot to place it though.

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I looooove the backglass! I love that style of art. I sooo wish I could draw like that. Simple lines but the whole thing is just elegant.

Aunt Agnes

Nov 5, 2015
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not sure? I don't think it's factory.
There are only images of maybe 2-3 other examples online and none of them have it. Maybe it was placed there to prevent ball hangups? Although, I have no idea how a ball would get there.

I will likely be removing it once I get down to my restoration.
Another funny quirk is the SPOT insert next to the #7 lane. It's white instead of green like the others. It's also factory.

From the flyer on this page it doesn't appear to have it, so yeah likely added by someone over the years.

http://www.pinrepair.com/wmswood/skyway.htm

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Well, it's got a flipper, kickers, ramp, rollover lanes, saucers, pop-bumpers, bonus scoring..... I can go on and on.

I guess it's just that it's closer to a flipperless game (half flipperless?) than what you'd think of as pinball, and the fact that it was specifically rigged for payouts.

You never know though-a colorDMD could be a good addition :)

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
From a design aspect, I would think they put the #7 in white to alert the player they only had one more to go. Gives you that "Wake up dummy! You're almost there!" factor to it.

Or they could have ran out of green like you said.

Reactions: Menace

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I guess it's just that it's closer to a flipperless game (half flipperless?) than what you'd think of as pinball, and the fact that it was specifically rigged for payouts.

You never know though-a colorDMD could be a good addition :)

I think it would be super hilarious if someone took an old woodrail and added a DMD with animations. Could be cool... you never know.

I have pre-flipper games and Skyway feels nothing like that to be honest.
The kicker often needs a good nudge to operate and the one flipper does a lot actually. The drains are not hard to save/recover from so you actually get to "play" a lot more than you might expect from this era of game. I've played a lot of 60's/70's EMs where I barely get to touch the ball. This is a lot better than that.
And, when the ball is in the upper playfield , you're just doing a lot of nudging off the bumpers and trying to coax the ball into the kicker or the 1-8 lanes.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
From a design aspect, I would think they put the #7 in white to alert the player they only had one more to go. Gives you that "Wake up dummy! You're almost there!" factor to it.

Or they could have ran out of green like you said.

Neat theory ;) But the numbers are not collected in sequence

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
Drano, I haven't played too many EM's but I am sure you are either starting a pinball museum or a retirement home for old pins.
Just picking
I am sure they have their charms and many are highly collectible.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Drano, I haven't played too many EM's but I am sure you are either starting a pinball museum or a retirement home for old pins.
Just picking
I am sure they have their charms and many are highly collectible.

Hey man... I'm like an onion. Lots of layers :)

I do enjoy playing these. But I enjoy most any type of Pinball.

It would be great to have a fully restored lineup of really vintage games that all played flawlessly.