• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Pinball Diaries (what did you do today?)

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Menace said:
Yep, start with the connectors / wiring and work your way back systematically. Good call on checking the VDC @ pin32.

Looks like my WH20 is fixed...for the moment. Upon reseating the connector, the voltage at pin32 rose drastically. Upon switching out the IDC connector, it evened voltage between the TP and pin32 almost completely. tim.sanderson "play tested" the game for me with no issues. Since its a WPC, I'm sure reset issues will be back...its all part of WPC ownership! As a side note on WH20, I'm still not sure its a game that fits into my collection. Its pretty and it plays nice, but if a game shuffle occurs, it will be the first to go without question.

Had a couple of the guys over last night...the first "game night" in the new basement. Games held up well and I'm happy with the new space. The shoe closet was the star of the evening.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
spiroagnew said:
Menace said:
As a side note on WH20, I'm still not sure its a game that fits into my collection. Its pretty and it plays nice, but if a game shuffle occurs, it will be the first to go without question.

Every collection needs a little bigfoot and some Nordmanite!!! :D
The WH2O plays pretty nice and I think the rules and depth of the game are something you really need to explore further to appreciate it.
It's very challenging and there are several things to strive for and acheive. I think the game has a lot of legs.
I still have not hit the vacation jackpot on mine... but I can't wait to see the game go nuts when I do!

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Got home from work tonight and was able to fix a problem I was having with Terminator 2 where the flipper would work but the associated switch wouldn't work. First I pulled the driver board and replaced and socketed the 2n25 opto isolator chip at u7 based on recommendation from pinside. Unfortunately that didn't work. Started checking continuity from the opto isolator chips to the switch rows at the cpu and they checked out fine. Then I checked the column drive from j206-1 on the cpu to j211-1 and got nothing. I added a wire between those points on the back of the cpu and then the switch worked. SWEET! I am confused as to how the right side flipper switch was working before if they are both using the same column drive? I should probably just let it go and just play the game but things like that bug me. Anyway she is working 100% now.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
painted rods for hours.. ugh..

This is why I can't keep a blog, it would be pretty boring. "Day 1: Made shooters. Day 2: Made shooters Day 3: made mongols".

I will say though, it's hard to do all this and take care of two babies at the same time. My eldest son now has red paint all over his fingers. :x

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
REVOLUTION said:
I will say though, it's hard to do all this and take care of two babies at the same time. My eldest son now has red paint all over his fingers. :x

Isn't the whole point of having kids so you can make them do stuff you don't want to???

Put them to work! :mrgreen:

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
Vengeance said:
Isn't the whole point of having kids so you can make them do stuff you don't want to???

Put them to work! :mrgreen:

Soon, man.  Soon..

525888036a38fec4c3ecf1be585a34fc.gif

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Today I got a line on my next project...
One of my brother-in-laws buddies has a problem with his EM during the start-up sequence. my first pin was a Bally wizard! one of my friends gave me. It took a ton of cleaning and adjusting but it was up and playing in no time. (I already supplied the guy a manual and schematic so I can at least get right into it)
Also got a line on a project machine (some version of Star Wars, hoping it's not an episode 1) that's from what I have been told is very very dirty (I've heard that story before and it's always, always worse).
So, I have been googling different cleaning methods. I still have to see how dirty this machine is but I am leaning toward the alcohol / magic eraser method.
I just hope it doesn't have any rusting, that's a sure sign of excess moisture and further problems.

pinball.customs

Apr 8, 2014
GTA
I find that dirt can sometimes help preserve the game. I had a SST that I'd swear wasn't cleaned in a decade. It was so dark and brown that I was worried there may be permanent damage. To my surprise, underneath all that black tar was a pristine playfield.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Only resort to a magic eraser as a last resort, especially on older PF's without any clearcoat protecting the art as it can burn through very quickly. Start with novus2 or even wildcat and go from there.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I was having an issue with my Banzai Run the last couple of nights. My ball lifter motor would not stop running and it turned out to be a badly mangled switch... which was also pretty gummed up internally.

The switch with the appropriate actuator is no longer available so, using another style that I happened to have, and following the other (still good) switch at the other end of the motor mech, I was able to flatten and then re-bend the arm to match the original.

Small and easy fix, but still rewarding and BR is back up and running just like that!
(I'm quickly leanring why this game was so unpopular with operators! Every single fix involves a series of operations and removal of parts)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 417
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 417

tim.sanderson

Went by Starburst/Playdium this afternoon. I picked up some stuff and played some more Mustang. Had the chance to play a few games without anyone watching over my shoulder. I think I hit about 50 mil for my best game. Played a bit more of their Metallica today too. It was one of the first times I actually liked the game. (probably 'cuz I had like, a 5 minute multiball. :p)

While I was there I bumped into a couple of guys from ToPL.

Hit AA Electronics and Sayal on the way home. Grabbed a sweet work light from Sayal, and some more shrink tube from AA. I had to restrain myself from buying all sorts of shit I didn't actually need.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
...I know it doesn't count... But

Last night on my virtual cabinet I had my best game on AFM. I attacked mars, saved all the cities, had multiple multiballs and became grand champ on that game. My score was over 16 billion.

Even though it wasn't on a real machine, I had lots of fun. I completed everything but super jackpot and 5 way combo. AFM is such a fun machine.