• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Pinball Diaries (what did you do today?)

maken

Jan 2, 2014
Kitchener
Picked up a X-Men Magneto last night. She is a beauty, such a nice looking art package. One of the finest looking pins ever made IMO.

X-Men was on my short list for its deep ruleset and challenging layout, I'm hoping that I can get some mileage out of this one before beating it. The last couple that I have bought didn't really prove to be challenging enough (T3, JD).

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
As it was labour day weekend the factory was somehow not working Saturday and I had a chance to have Victor my previous arcade tech pal come by to take a peek at Checkpoint.
We started out with the DMD. It all looked fine. I reminded Vic that what I had researched online claimed the R95 resistor was blown. He said it looked fine but the multi-meter disagreed. Vic didn't quite have the proper resistor so in true arcade tech style he soldered a few together to get the proper current, I taped up all the bare wire, he soldered it in and presto a working display (At least until I can get a proper resistor).
Then we got to work on the playfield. I noticed the slingshots, thumper bumpers were not working (moving) so they were next. That was a blown fuse in the head. I put in one of the proper voltage but since it's not the same look I will stop by radio shack on the way home and get some proper ones today. I did have no action on the left slingshot and with little work found coil was seized. Also, the bracket holding the coil in place appears to have been welded/repaired (I wonder what happened there?). Now I just have to get a varied assortment of coils with a few extras as I noticed the thumper bumper and one of the rubbers has a spot that tends to trap the ball and I can only see that leading to overheating. I'll need to put in some new rubber and maybe that can fix that problem.
Otherwise, Checkpoint is up and playing. I did notice after a few games that the left flipper was sticking (staying energized). The schematic doesn't have a pic of the 'ultimate flipper' assemblies installed in the Checkpoint so i will have to do some digging online to see what I can find.
I sold some of my previous hobby stuff and now I have some disposable cash to invest in a ramp build. I am really leaning heavily toward a wire form ramp as it will be the most long term solution to the upkicker wear (my ramp is also repaired at the end of the ramp (looks like it cracked in half and someone put some metal in to fix it).
So in closing Data East is not your Bally or Williams that I have previously fixed. the checkpoint is full of Grey paper coated 'Black Beast' coils (must be what DE used). I am also wondering if the 'ultimate flipper' is an upgrade or aftermarket flipper assembly.

Attachments

• Checkpoint 004.jpg
    Checkpoint 004.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 886

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
A pic of the ramp notice the repairs at the outhole landing area and the end of the line.

Attachments

• Checkpoint 001.jpg
    Checkpoint 001.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 885

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Just order up the correct era DE flipper rebuild kit from PBR and you'll get everything you need. I think the "ultiimate" is just clever marketing from DE at the time.

Glad you got it up and running.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I bought a new pinbits MM shaker kit a few weeks ago and finally got around to install it this past Saturday. It is funny because the pinsider I bought this from didn't have the heart to install this on his HUO MM because it involved making permanent modification to it such as mounting the shaker and interface board.

14975723790_844ef73019_z.jpg

14976565368_be2d2e6e03_z.jpg

I ran the first part of the harness down the left side of the cab and then up to the lower left playfield. There are basically 3 points that trigger the shaker to be interactive during game play. Pinbits has premade molex connectors to intercept signals to send to the shaker when triggered that don't require any permanent modification to your game.

15163154485_0ccac4427e_z.jpg

The first one is the catapult coil

14976416469_57ca5f0077_z.jpg

The second one is the castle destruction coil which I had connected to the coil which controlled the castle gate. The pin out didn't exactly match or make 100% sense so good thing Drano was still up at 11:30pm when I shot him a quick text to confirm on his MM.

15162767682_b29fc02011_z.jpg

The third one is the optos which get triggered when you hit the drawbridge or gate

15160172671_e90b57e2cb_z.jpg

The only part which was not plug an play was getting the +20V from flasher on right hand side of playfield. Not a big deal and just have to make sure you are soldering the red wire to the proper side of the socket and easily reversible in case you ever want to remove in the future.

14976487890_ca5a132387_z.jpg

15162763852_260e76debd_z.jpg

The last step was routing and running this ground wire to the back of the cab and up into the head. There are a few things grounded right in front of the MPU.

14976576828_a38393f8ff_z.jpg

I played a ball to test out to make sure everything worked and called it a night. I just have to make sure the shaker doesn't interfere and trigger the tilt bob and adjust accordingly if it does. Anyone on the fence about this for their MM, AFM or STTNG I would say go for it because it integrates nicely into the game play. It's a bit pricey but not that much more compared to a Stern shaker these days at $195usd+shipping. This pinbits shaker kit is very well put together much like all their other products. You can tell a lot of thought was put into it because it came with everything required for the install and length of each wire in the harness was perfect.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I think the Pinbits MM shaker is the best aftermarket shaker mod available. Fits beautifully into the theme and adds a nice touch to destroying gates and castles.
Just makes an awesome game even 'awesomer' :lol:

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Yay, I'm playing REAL pinball again, not just virtual simulations.

I managed to pick up the perfect pin for me. A 1979 Bally Mystic. Looks pretty good, needs some work, but it's just up my alley. I worked out a phenomenal trade for one of my arcade projects, the seller is happy with a 100% working arcade! and in happy with a mostly working pinball.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I met up with some of the boys last night to move and pickup some games from the Ottawa show, off for a late night dimsum and today I'll be playing the role of delivery man... HDS comin' through!!!

GIFSoup

D

tim.sanderson

I finished some more plastics. This one is for my Jokerz . Scanned and traced the original using good ol' Corel Draw. I'm pretty pleased with this one.

I took some liberty with the shape of the plastic near where the spinner mounts. The original shape was way too complex, and I kept breaking them during cutting. The simpler cut out worked well, but doesn't look quite as nice as the original.

Attachments

• j1.jpg
    j1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 530

FastEd

Sep 5, 2014
Toronto
Made my first part run to the Playdium Store (I'm sure the first of many trips!). Saw and played Wizard of Oz (that is a good looking game!). Replaced the leg plates and bolts on my new Congo (now I really feel like an owner!).

Spiroagnew, I had no idea that Sea Mist has a Funhouse. I go there every year (for the last 12 years) on my annual golf trip. It's a dive, but it's cheap. I'll have to go play it on my next trip. Maybe I can buy it off the owner and bring it home :twisted:

quarter grabber

May 29, 2013
Ottawa
I picked this up and fit it through a 32" door :shock:
Anyone that knows this game they know that is quite a feat. It is about 15 feet long, 5 feet wide, 7 feet tall and weighs 1000 lbs. Fun as heck though, I'd like to put an LCD in it, does anyone know how to do that?

mitch_a

Mar 2, 2014
Bamberg Ontario
Spent a couple hours today putting all my mods on my metalica premium. Did the fuel inserts so they are all the proper color now. Changed the upper three posts 2 by sparky and one in the pop bumpers to regular posts with blue rubber sleeves. Metallica topper. Changed the steel block under the hammer to the proper static ball that the pro's have. The light up cemetery arch above the cross targets. Covers on the wire switch on the ramps. The tongue decal. The snake fangs and replaced the magnet cores. Game looks even nicer now.