• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Pinball Diaries (what did you do today?)

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
Thank you to everyone who participated last night. Hope everyone had a good time. Without your participation these events would never happen. And to Adam a huge thank you . I truly believe that without your commitment to this hobby it would not be what it is today. And also thanks to Warlock for the kind words above. See everyone at the next function. Mike

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I had a great time at the "not" Topl last night. When Robin comes out with me we have to hire a baby sitter, so it's a once-in-a-while thing, essentially a "date night" for us :). Since we were in Newmarket we stopped by Big Bone BBQ - awesome smoked ribs! Mike let me store my leftovers in the fridge.

The smaller turnout made it easier to chat with just about everyone in the room, always nice to socialize. So much so I forgot about Pingolf! When handing my scores in Adam noticed I only had a score on one game. Oh well, for me the most fun is in just coming out.

Thanks, Mike, for hosting. Good to see you again Warlock. Special thumbs-up for Adam for keeping things going over the summer hiatus.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Thanks everyone, glad to know everyone enjoyed it makes it much easier to keep moving forward with this kind of stuff when I know people are having fun.

Thanks also to Mike to opening his home for us.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
My plan was to work in the garage and get BK ready for it's pending delivery - the final half of paying for Flintstones. However, after getting it on it's legs and attaching the backbox, I realized that my sweat was sweating and it was time to work indoors.

Sooooo.....off to the basement I go. First up - put LOTR on it's legs, since it's ridiculous that it's been here a month and I haven't had a chance to set it up. One of the best things I've done recently was buy a folding metal sawhorse from CT - $10, and all I have to do is lift the pin up on it's front legs, have my wife slide the sawhorse underneath, and putting the back legs on is much easier. It still needs some levelling, and the topper appears to have fallen off in transport so I'll have to figure that one out, but it's playing well.

Next up - WH20 has been down for a month because one of the figurines mwong added had fallen partially onto the playfield, and was acting like the Hulk, trapping balls. I was a bit embarrassed to realize that it took me all of 5 seconds to fix, and taking the glass on and off was by far the most difficult part of the repair. I'd gathered new zip tiedowns and everything, but I needed none of it.

I should add - the only reason these tasks haven't been done in the last month is that 1) I was either insane at work or 2) I was up at the cottage scaring bears. http://teacherwalt.blogspot.ca/2013/07/a-rather-exciting-start-to-my-summerok.html.

So - for the first time, I have seven fully functioning games in the house. I've had more, for those of you who saw my garage last year (I think there were 19 running at my birthday party?), but the garage really doesn't count as the house, does it?

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Walt, all running pins that you own (or are in possession of) or have folded that are working or not have to count.
If they are on your Terra Firma, in your garage, on the back porch or turfed into the pool still get marked down.
Otherwise I have to count them.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
WARLOCK said:
We can bring you 10 more in August for your B-Day so we can top your total from last year to 20 if you want. lol

I'd get shot if I proposed another party like that anytime soon. You only turn 40 once....41 is not such a big deal....

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
brewmanager said:
WARLOCK said:
We can bring you 10 more in August for your B-Day so we can top your total from last year to 20 if you want. lol

I'd get shot if I proposed another party like that anytime soon. You only turn 40 once....41 is not such a big deal....

Boooo..... My son still talks about attending your 40th. You should convince the spousal unit to make it a yearly gathering! :)

D

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Menace said:
brewmanager said:
WARLOCK said:

Boooo..... My son still talks about attending your 40th. You should convince the spousal unit to make it a yearly gathering! :)

D

I agree. My son still talks about it as well. Probably something to do with all the chocolate and kicking Pinbot's ass.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I spent some time out in the community yesterday and today playing pinball. There's limited places in Kitchener to play. First stop was the Chicopee tube park for TOM. I've only played this virtually before, and it was ok... The box toy didn't turn around and the game lost count of balls while locking for multiball. I played 10 games and won one replay. The game was playable but in need of repair. Today I stopped at the heuther hotel to play there collection. They have the best collection in the area even with half of them off or broken. Acdc is great, the cannon fire button didn't work though. Fish tales is next to it. The DMD is horrible, most of the GI lights are out, the game is playable but its extremely dark and hard to see, the game also shut off in mid multiball (like the door was opened) killing my game and mood about fish tales. Rescue911 was off. Jurassic park was dim but brighter then FT it worked well and had the volume cranked (twice as loud as acdc) drowning out the other games. Next to that was LW3. The game was on, GI lights were on but the DMD was out (except for one dot) making it unplayable. And the last in line was TAF. This was also off. Yes it's sad but 2 and a 1/2 games in one location is the best we have.

We have a "funworkx" in town with a playdium arcade inside...but no pinball machines....lame.

There's two games in north Waterloo, I want to go out there and drop some quarters soon. I've never played a tmnt. Hope it's still there.

tim.sanderson

Luckydogg420 said:
Today I stopped at the heuther hotel to play there collection.
'Collection' should be used loosely. It's more of a pile than a collection. Pinball-wise, that place should be more awesome than it is. Such a unique bar. When I went, only AC/DC worked 100% . And that's because it was still super-new. Every other game was either in deplorable condition, or not even turned on. Disappointing, to say the least.

prock

Jul 15, 2013
Winnipeg
tim.sanderson said:
'Collection' should be used loosely. It's more of a pile than a collection. Pinball-wise, that place should be more awesome than it is. Such a unique bar. When I went, only AC/DC worked 100% . And that's because it was still super-new. Every other game was either in deplorable condition, or not even turned on. Disappointing, to say the least.

Seems to be the same situation in general here in Wpg. Pretty much every pinball machine I run into in the wild is in rough shape nowadays. Only the newer games are playable... until they break of course. I managed to play an AC/DC when it was new on location... last I heard it was horribly dirty and not very playable. Hopefully it has been cleaned since.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
After a positive conference call with Starburst, as well as three weeks of vacation with the family and from the interwebs, I come back with a fresh mind and a fresh attitude. I wish I could focus this postivie note on pinball, but alas.. our house is finally sold and all efforts move towards packing. A shame too, I have this nice MM in my garage and no time to tinker with it!

Lots of fresh ideas in the works, some exciting news to share with everyone very shortly, and I'm working with a very close friend and award-winning marketing guru to further the Pinball Customs brand.

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
REVOLUTION said:
After a positive conference call with Starburst, as well as three weeks of vacation with the family and from the interwebs, I come back with a fresh mind and a fresh attitude. I wish I could focus this postivie note on pinball, but alas.. our house is finally sold and all efforts move towards packing. A shame too, I have this nice MM in my garage and no time to tinker with it!

Lots of fresh ideas in the works, some exciting news to share with everyone very shortly, and I'm working with a very close friend and award-winning marketing guru to further the Pinball Customs brand.

Good luck with the move Brock and the growth of your business.
You may need a personal assistant to answer your texts and emails. Ask your guru if you should!

LOL :lol:

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
We are planning on trying for another child, so we have made the decision to move. (Moving seems to be a theme on this board.) We currently have no more room for another child, more stuff, or another pinball machine. And bad news, one more arrives Monday. I was met with heartbreak today, as the real estate agent pleaded with me to fold up my current games and wheel them into the only unused space left in the house, in order for the finished basement to look more open and attractive. Hell, its looks pretty attractive to me with all the games lit up! I didn’t have the heart to tell her another was arriving Monday. But I see where she is coming from. They are mammoths that take up a ton of space and dominate any room they are in. On top of all the stress of being in housing limbo and getting the place ready for sale, I now have to do so without my biggest stress relievers!

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Thanks to Drano74 and Brewmanager for making the trip with me to Montreal and St. George's.

Thank you to Sparky and R.A.B. for all your kind and generous hospitality in Montreal as always.
Fantastic to see old friends again and meet new ones as well.

I will post more and elaborate later regarding our 2000km - 40 hour trip.
I wish Drano and I could have stayed later than we did for the PowWow last night and met more people,
but we were both still after 2am before we each arrived safely home as we were last night.
We will stay longer next time with a shorter agenda.

For all the guys who have pins from the container, see you guys tomorrow and on Monday. Congrats!
I am honoured with great friends in this hobby. Thank you.

9 years ago today, my wife and I were blessed to bring home our second child, who shares a birthday with me.
Off to do things for the day today that 9 year olds love to do and share our birthday's together as we always do.
I will check in and post later once he has gone to sleep after what will be a long fun Saturday.

Have a great day everyone!

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I went to the movies with my daughter for the first time today, she's almost 3. We watched Dispicable me 2. I had a few laughs.

It's an independent theater in the basement to the local mall. Frederick twin cinemas is the name. Sure enough there are two games there. A creature from the black lagoon And a T2. Both were on, they looked clean, I didn't have time to play them today but they are so close, I will try them this week. When we were leaving the show the creach was being played by some kids, so there being used.