• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Pinball Diaries (what did you do today?)

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
I spent Friday afternoon finishing the partial shop job on Road Show that I started while Menace was fixing Teds head last weekend, as I figured some of those rubbers were easier to change with the bulldozer off. Of course, no sooner had I put everything back together then I found two 5/16 post rubbers right under Red that I'd missed. Never fails. Ah well, it plays worlds better, as you'll see later in the post. :)

I also cleaned and waxed every other playfield, took the fingerprints off the glass, and just generally made sure everything was looking and playing nice.

Friday night, my wife had a friend and her family over. They'd gone to the Science Centre, and were mulling over the idea of getting a vid or a pin. I had to leave early for my ball games, but I heard they practically had to drag their twin boys out of the basement. :)

So Cooke and Mcmean had a deal worked out on some machines, and I offered up my place as a (kind of) central meeting place. So a trailer from London and a trailer from Peterborough were here, and I took the guys to the Perfect Chinese restaurant, along with High Speed Tom, Grauwolf and Bish. Living and working in Scarborough, it's not been unusual for me to be in the minority, but I think it might have been an unusual experience for the other guys.

After a filling lunch for 6 that came out to a ridiculously cheap $63, (our noodles were free cause they forgot them and we got them after an hour), we headed back to my place for some machine and parts moving between trailers and out of my garage, we headed downstairs to play some pinball. Warlock, Monkeybug and Drano joined us later in the evening, and the pins got a serious workout. It was the first time I'd had all 7 really being played, and I was thrilled to have them all hold up really well, along with no power issues. Only two things wrong all day - a trough issue on GL that Cooke was kind enough to fix, and my HS beacon motor has gotten seriously wonky.

Bish was kind enough to give me a quick lesson on how to properly use my turntable, and I've been writing this while listening to Rush with much better sound quality than I'd been getting out of it prior to this. Thanks Bish!

Initials were put up on many machines, but I had two epic games that I had to share. Since LOTR came back home, I've been trying to knock 1 of Speedy's scores off it, but had no luck. Yesterday I managed to just miss DTR, but had a good enough game to take the GC. I have no idea if 114 million is anything special, but it was my best game ever.

But that was nothing compared to the game I had on Roadshow. My previous best was 1.7 billion on mwong168s, and 1.555 on mine. Yesterday not only did I make the West Coast for the first time, but I almost made it back. New GC score of 3.480 billion.

Have to give credit - for both epic games, HS Tom was right there for both. I might have to pay him to come watch me play at the next tournament I enter. :)

Today F14 Dave and his family is coming over - quite a pinball weekend indeed! F14 might be for sale - pm me with any interest.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
brewmanager said:
Bish was kind enough to give me a quick lesson on how to properly use my turntable, and I've been writing this while listening to Rush with much better sound quality than I'd been getting out of it prior to this. Thanks Bish!

I'd love some pointers on proper turntable use. I have a vintage '70's pioneer turntable and a new 7.1 Yamaha amp. The sound is great but I always like tips from the pros. Probably have 200 records from the 1950's-2010's. it's great that vinyl has also made a resurgence, I've been able to get many of my favorite modern artists on vinyl.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Luckydogg420 said:
brewmanager said:

I'd love some pointers on proper turntable use. I have a vintage '70's pioneer turntable and a new 7.1 Yamaha amp. The sound is great but I always like tips from the pros. Probably have 200 records from the 1950's-2010's. it's great that vinyl has also made a resurgence, I've been able to get many of my favorite modern artists on vinyl.

PM Bish - he's your man. I was afraid to open my Led Zep box set since I knew something wasn't quite right, but am enjoying the full experience today.

Sad thing - this is the first time in my entire life that I'm thinking my 21 yr old tower speakers are no longer adequate. Everyone in my residence house used to hate them back in my school days. :)

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
Finally got this bad boy back on the weekend from a well known playfield restorer out of london.... :D

3ee5.jpg

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I oggled that Stargazer pf last Saturday very briefly!
That is a very nice Palmer pf restore and clearcoat piece of art!
Congrats Chris!
Sweet!!!

Thanks for the small gtg Walt, even for the brief time I was there.
Good people, good times!

arctic

Jan 27, 2013
Ontario
Out at the Cottage this week. Stopped in at an antique place and found this hanging on the wall. Super 8 playfield from 1934, (Stoner Manufacturing Corp. out of Aurora, Illinois). Seller found it mounted as a door on a small shed. Hence the hinge on the one side. Should make a nice piece for the shop or project, coffee table maybe?

Pretty cool piece of Pinaball history.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
Added coin taker slow fade colour changing led bulbs to the nuclear towers on my TSPP. Easy and really cool mod to the game, I'm really pleased with the effect, since its one of the ones I'm keeping after a minor confrontation over space in the basement.

Apparently I've crowded out the puppet theatre, and must mend my ways. :FP:

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Last night I helped my buddy drop off 3 pins to London. Had a good time setting up the machines and got to play some games.

Played sttng with a colour DMD, wow. What an improvement to the game. The colour DMD looks way better in person then in web videos.

played tron for the first time, didn't have time to get into it but seems fun.

Also played tspp for the first time. Wow. That game is a lot of fun. I've decided that's my holy grail game right now, I really like the theme. Probably have to wait for a couple months to save up my pennies.

JeffM

Nov 27, 2012
London
Played those 3 pins luckydogg took to london, after taking them down the stairway from hell!!! Got my name up on 2 of the machines before i headed home

It was good meeting you guys! Hopefully run into you again at a league night, yours or ours

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I had Mike aka Beafraid over last night to play some pins. Looks like he will be on the hunt for a Congo and Johnny Mnemonic now after playing mine :twisted:

9507586891_0fdc5ea217_c.jpg

Thanks for remembering and bringing my favorite beer Mill St. Organic and look forward to coming over to trying out your WOZ soon.

brewmanager

Nov 14, 2012
Scarborough, ON
So my recently and sadly sold Flintstones had an issue that I'd never bothered pursuing, but since I like games to leave here in good shape I decided to tackle it.

The DIG lanes at the top were reversed. D would light G, and vice versa.

I figured it was a switch issue, probably mixed up connectors like my FH had.

Lifted the play field, and nope, that wasn't it. No connectors.

It got even weirder when I put it in test mode. The switches were correct.

Flummoxed, I'd noticed on the weekend that Grauwolf was rather good at diagnosing, so I fired him a text.

He suggested I check the bulb sockets.

Duh. Yeah. Good idea. Never even crossed my mind to check the bulbs.

So it turns out the 3-lamp pcb was in...backwards. Two screws out, reverse it, back in, and Flintstones is (sob) leaving at 100%.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Mmmmmmmm, Flintstones!

Too tired to post anything other than the basics.

JD #1 all tuned up and ready to go out the door.
JD #2 is in the house as one of my 3 pins @ home.

No Fear is all fixed up and playing beautifully @ work.

I looked at c-37 and Volley longingly today, and said
"sorry girls", maybe tomorrow.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
With my new gameroom starting to accept a bunch of games (even though I haven't done any of the necessary trim work in the room), my shop at work is starting to look manageable again. So I started re-organzing and will be enjoying my newly found space very soon.

In the shop right now are my two current projects; Centigrade 37 and Farfalla. Both have newly restored and clearcoated minty playfields and are awating a bit of cabinet work and reassemly.
Then there is a fully working and nice Joker Poker standign on its back. The game is great but some inserts are seriously cupped... so I'll be pulling the playfield, knocking down the previous clearcoat, filling inserts and applying a couple of new topcoats. SHouldn't be too bad.
And lastly, the lone DMD, Cactus Canyon still sits awaiting a full teardown and restore since I bought it months ago from Gerard.
I guess I should never have rushed to install the revised Cactus Canyon Continued software and P-ROC. It's just been too fun to tear down... even though it's filthy ;)

So today I will be doing some more cleaning and getting the (off-site) workshop back up and running while I await the completion of my new home shop.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Well, all is well.

My first DMD was purchased from Mike Wong. Love it, still do.
Judge Dredd.

Someone new in the hobby needed a new first pin. Great choice.
I couldn't sell mine without replacing it with the same pin. No chance.

JD #1 is off to a new owner. All good.
JD #2 is at my home and is very beautiful.

That will do for today.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
And... by all accounts, the new JD owner (my nephew) is loving his graduation gift!
Thanks Scott.

Looks like we've roped another noob into this insane hobby.
My brother was already asking about finding an IJ :lol:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
DRANO said:
My brother was already asking about finding an IJ :lol:

Give your brother my # as he lives literally 2 mins from my house and too bad I just sold my IJ too. Maybe you should consider selling or loaning him yours ;)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Helped Brewmanager remove Grand Lizard from his basement @ lunch time yesterday. It is off to Drano's mancave today.
Repaired No Fear left flipper and rebuilt on Sunday. Sweet! Repaired Shadow and put in a replacement DMD as well.
Waiting for a new U6 ROM chip for Shadow next.

Setup Black knight today at lunch time and started to shake the cobwebs out. I just love Williams System 3's to 9's.
Setup Toledo and she seems to be all good. Thanks to Cooke for the pin. I like it, and look forward to playing it.

Hopefully I will put a color DMD in STTNG tonight if I get a chance to do so.

Then maybe a nap.....

arctic

Jan 27, 2013
Ontario
Sold two Pins today and picked up a new one. Got a pile of new records from Speedy for the Juke and drove around with the top down. All in all a good day. Nice to visit with Drano and Walt for a bit as well (no they didn't buy the pins).

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Speedy, I am sure Drano will give you visitation rights! You have a brand new pin to replace it and make the tears go away.

Arctic, Congrats on your pin sales! Nice work to sell 2 pins in one day. I am sure the buyer(s) will be happy with their purchases.

I didn't really buy anything today. I didn't really sell anything today. However, lots of things are going to happen after today>>>>

On to tomorrow's tasks, both work and hobby related. Time to research once again for the next steps in eventual pinball bliss.