• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Building a Dream

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Just wait till you see the finished product, I've got ideas I want to do on creating a PAPA'ish setup with TV's and camcorders for Tourney cams :p

Also the first floor will have 12ft ceilings so optimus will fit in the building, my TFLE will get the ultimate "topper" :mrgreen:

REVOLUTION said:
the idea of an addition is a MUCH better one than a giant steel building on your property.. especially for re-sale value.

That said, you won't catch me doing something as crazy as this in the name of pinball and Transformers.. ;)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Thanks Drano!!

Generic concept by him, now it's time to play around :p

and that is just the upper floor :)

Attachments

• concept.jpg
    concept.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 626

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Just wait till you see the finished product, I've got ideas I want to do on creating a PAPA'ish setup with TV's and camcorders for Tourney cams

You could do some neat stuff with a moveable camera setup there if you wanted. Not sure exactly how it'd work, but a conduit across the ceiling where you could mount a camera at an arbitrary position could be a neat idea there. Maybe something that used wireless HDMI to stream to a TV?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Menace said:
Not bad @ 54 pins on the top floor. LOL

D

Yeah, I went a little nuts... but it would be an awesome room with maybe 35-40 games and some other things like a jukebox, maybe some vids... a bar???
I would be so tempted to do this up like an awesome sports bar just rammed with pins... and Adam has the space to do it.
The best spaces I have seen are the ones that do a good job of blending atmosphere with pins. Not an easy balance to strike though as temptation is always there to bring in just one more game.

Have fun Adam

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I'll have my MAME, and some other types of games (I have a Hot Shots as well) but no bar. I've got a Bar, in my bar currently so it seems really redundant to have 2 bars, also taking into consideration the fact that I don't drink, :lol: The DDR is going to say in the house as I don't see my wife spending a ton of time in the building so the DDR will never get used as a result.

I also plan to add a punching bag of some sort somewhere, speed bag or other so people can punch it rather then my machines :p

The upper floor I think will be more just pins and nothing else, the bottom floor will be more open. Like I said I have ideas for TV's and cameras for doing tourney things, the 11ft Optimus Prime will be on the 1st floor, put in a bit of seating kinda thing.

But I think the upper floor should be all pins.

DRANO said:
Menace said:
Not bad @ 54 pins on the top floor. LOL

D

Yeah, I went a little nuts... but it would be an awesome room with maybe 35-40 games and some other things like a jukebox, maybe some vids... a bar???
I would be so tempted to do this up like an awesome sports bar just rammed with pins... and Adam has the space to do it.
The best spaces I have seen are the ones that do a good job of blending atmosphere with pins. Not an easy balance to strike though as temptation is always there to bring in just one more game.

Have fun Adam

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Vengeance said:
I also plan to add a punching bag of some sort somewhere, speed bag or other so people can punch it rather then my machines :p

Seriously?
I hope that's a joke :FP:

Who goes into somebody's house and wails on their hard-earned and expensive property? Over a meaningless game to boot?
If someone hit one of my machines (which often take 6-8 months to restore) I don't think finding something to punch would be an issue.

Still, it would be a pretty cool thing to have hanging in the space!
Just keep people away from the darts :)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
It's not uncommon, but not generally acceptable, I've done it, in high pressure situations it does happen, it always sounds worse then it is, I'll open hand slap the side of a machine or hit the lock down bar which makes a loud sound but doesn't do any damage.

Bunch of guys just hanging out no, that should never happen.

But when you have thousands of dollars on the line and tensions running high, emotions get the best of people sometimes.

DRANO said:
Seriously?
I hope that's a joke :FP:

Who goes into somebody's house and wails on their hard-earned and expensive property? Over a meaningless game to boot?
If someone hit one of my machines (which often take 6-8 months to restore) I don't think finding something to punch would be an issue.

Still, it would be a pretty cool thing to have hanging in the space!
Just keep people away from the darts :)

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
From a guy named Adam Lewis, here are some interesting ideas for a staircase and pinball lift setup: http://www.seriousviewers.com/gameroom/room1.htm

Spiral staircases would truly maximize your space. Perhaps use two - one for down, the other for up to avoid traffic jams. You could increase the footprint from the 48" square he illustrates.

The pinball lift is unique, functional and easily gets put away restoring the floor space at and beneath it. It certainly takes advantage of how pinball machines are usually moved around on a hand truck. The arch would not be required if you built a hook into the ceiling for your winch.

Adam also shows some inventive ways for restoring BGs on his site.

A few pics:

image012.jpg

image014.jpg

image016.jpg

image018.jpg

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Hello my name is Simon, and I like to do Drawings!

Attachments

• 20130812_082750.jpg
    20130812_082750.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 478
  • 20130812_082806.jpg
    20130812_082806.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 478
  • 20130812_082826.jpg
    20130812_082826.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 478
  • 20130812_082837.jpg
    20130812_082837.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 478
  • 20130812_082856.jpg
    20130812_082856.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 478
  • 20130812_082916.jpg
    20130812_082916.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 477

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Welp, this sucks.

Dream is now dead :FP:

My general contractor just came back to me with a number and to build what we want to build will cost $255,000, a far cry from the $70,000 Max we were hoping to spend.

So back to square one I either have to lower expectations, and go with a free standing single level structure our abandon the project all together.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Huh? Hadn't you already talked to the contractor before getting all the drawings done? What changed? Hell, for that much, you could probably buy your neighbor's house up there and just fill it with pins...

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
70k max? Yikes... I know a few people that have spent that much just to finish their basement (and nothing too big or fancy either), let alone add an addition the size you were looking at.

Sorry to hear the bad news though...

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Chris Bardon said:
Huh? Hadn't you already talked to the contractor before getting all the drawings done? What changed? Hell, for that much, you could probably buy your neighbor's house up there and just fill it with pins...

That's the frustrating part we told our contractor what we had in mind and where our budget was, and I'm not asking for anything fancy, walls, roof, floor, insulation and electrical. So we though it seemed reasonable.

But he said once he started to add it up it started to get insane.

Most likely I'll be back to an external building, no plumbing, single floor type deal

or I'll be redoing my deck and putting in a hot tub :p