• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The OFFICIAL "Hey, I got a new machine" thread

novaguy

Nov 16, 2012
Fenelon Falls
Hey man... I'm like an onion. Lots of layers :)

I do enjoy playing these. But I enjoy most any type of Pinball.

It would be great to have a fully restored lineup of really vintage games that all played flawlessly.
Hey man... I'm like an onion. Lots of layers :)

I do enjoy playing these. But I enjoy most any type of Pinball.

It would be great to have a fully restored lineup of really vintage games that all played flawlessly.
Very cool Drano.I love the artwork on the older Williams woodrails.the closest thing I have to being that weird is my 54 Colors.

Reactions: WARLOCK

hurricane

Nov 15, 2012
Quinte West, Ontario
Congrats on the Skyway - it's a fun game to play given its non traditional layout and some pretty cool stuff incorporated into it for the time. Interesting side-note is that Mr Williams recycled the upper playfield wireform/kicker when he designed Stern's Freefall in 1981.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Very cool Drano.I love the artwork on the older Williams woodrails.the closest thing I have to being that weird is my 54 Colors.

I swear George Molentin had a thing for blondes. Or maybe she was someone who worked at Williams back int the day, because the same lady appears in Skyway, Army Navy and now in your Colors :D

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
The kicker often needs a good nudge to operate and the one flipper does a lot actually. The drains are not hard to save/recover from so you actually get to "play" a lot more than you might expect from this era of game. I've played a lot of 60's/70's EMs where I barely get to touch the ball. This is a lot better than that.

I was thinking about this again the other day, and the distinction I came up with is that when I said that it wasn't quite pinball, the distinction was control. I think the line is in control-for something to really be what we think of as pinball today, a player has to have control of the game. On most pins, assuming you played absolutely perfectly, you could play indefinitely. Yes, there are exceptions (e.g. timed games), and features designed to induce randomness and remove control, but for the most part the player is in control of the game and how long it lasts. There are also games where you have some limited control over features as you play (through nudging etc), but the game is always going to end when it ends. These are things like the original bagatelle games, flipperless games, and even on up to modern pachinko and redemption games. There's certainly skill there, but there's a limit of how well someone could do at the game. There are features designed in those games that will, no matter what you do, end the game, and put you in a position where you can't save a ball and extend play.

Anyway, tangents aside, it looks like an interesting game, and if it's able to recover from a drain, then maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. Looking forward to seeing how the restoration goes!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
It's an interesting distinction for sure.
I think, even in the earliest machines there was always a level of control. I have a 1937 Bally Booster (pre-flipper) and, if I can get the ball in the perfect spot between 2 springs and my nudging timing is bang on, I can keep it trapped there generating hits for a lot longer than normal.

Control, I think, is an ingredient that slowly got added over time and as designs and elements evolved. Flippers added a bit more, ramps even more and so on. Today we have games where control is so much a part of the game that nudging and "body English" are really only necessary to avoid a drain. Before they were an essential part of scoring and getting the ball to go where you wanted it to.
Personally, I enjoy games where control is not easy and having the ball return to my flipper after making a shot can get a bit dull sometimes.
Interesting observation though.

I'll have to have you over to draw your own conclusions once it's all done

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
In other news... The last of the Allentown haul got set up this weekend.
Seawitch is up and running.... and in some good company too :D

Mystic girls, aquatic girls and alien girls. I think I see a definite theme here from Stern :)

All three of these beauties are slated for a facelift. I can't wait until they're all done.

20160618_222915.jpg

20160618_222900.jpg

Reactions: WARLOCK and Menace

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
And dibs! I'm serious bro. You will likely turf Sea"biatch" first. Quicksilver doesnt do it for me. Totally happy to play it at my friends houses though. And "potential dibs on Stargazer" but I suspect there is a line and not really a problem as we have several to play locally.

Well done.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Lots of shuffling @ Bluffs Pinball in da Bluffs in Scarberia, as per usual.

Outgoing:

Bride of Pinbot
Grand Lizard # 2 (I still have #1 - yes - really # 5)
Jack's To Open (Replaced with Jack's Open)
Road Kings
Domino
Playmates

Incoming:

Firepower II #2
Future Spa (Ed's)
Stingray
Wiggler
Jack's Open #2
Soccer

For Sale on deck to go:

Gladiator's
Firepower II # 1
Goldball
Pheonix
Orbitor 1
Professional

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
And dibs! I'm serious bro. You will likely turf Sea"biatch" first. Quicksilver doesnt do it for me. Totally happy to play it at my friends houses though. And "potential dibs on Stargazer" but I suspect there is a line and not really a problem as we have several to play locally.

Well done.

Not so sure about that.
QS was the game I knew the least amongst my four classic stern. Yeah, it's rare and it's punishing, but I think seawitch is currently ahead of it for me.

In fact, I'd go Star Gazer, Meteor, Seawitch, Quicksilver in that order from a fun and playability POV. If I was running a tournament, I'd probably put QS and Meteor at the top.

I don't have plans to add any more and most of these titles (aside from meteor) don't grow on trees, so I'll probably keep them a good long time.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Nice. You spent a lot of time and effort to get these Classic Sterns. Glad you enjoy them and will keep them for a while.
I have settled on Stingray, Dracula, Trident and Flight 2000 for the Classic Sterns so far. New pf to install in F2k. CC the Trident.

2nd Trident on deck for a pin retheme. My Meteor is sold to Menace. Seawitch and Stargazer will call me one day, but for now, all good.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Congrats on getting Dirty Harry and heard nothing but good things about it too. I've only seen game play videos and wish I knew someone close to me that owned one so I could try it.

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
This DH went on Nova Scotia Kijiji, I jumped on it fast, and arranged seller to deliver from Dartmouth Nova Scotia. I never played this before so it should prove interesting. The gun is a neat feature.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
It's a fun game with decent rules and a lot to shoot for. I haven't really gotten into it in depth but, from what I've experienced, it's a very decent and likely underrated Williams DMD.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Here comes the bride!

Here's one I've wanted to take for a spin for a while. Warlock had a very decent example of BoP at the Bluffs Pinball League and I was ready to part with my newly refurbished FPII... so a deal was struck.

I don't know how long the honeymoon will last, but I plan to show her a good time ;)

THE MACHINE!!!

20160702_003905.jpg

20160702_003832.jpg

20160702_003836.jpg

Reactions: kvoxx and WARLOCK