• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The Pinball Diaries (what did you do today?)

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
It's been a busy morning so far. I woke up early and didn't have to work today so I decided to do two cap kits on the monitors in my versus city. Once I was done I figured since the soldering iron was already warmed up I might as well install a new switches into my newly acquired Revenge From Mars. The old microswitches were crap, some of the actuators would stick down at the bottom and not come back up properly. I tried cleaning them with alcohol but it was a lost cause so they got replaced. Then I heard the noisy cpu fan when I was testing switches, so I replaced that. I also noticed that the saucer "mode" lights were a bit finicky but once I pulled the plug I found a couple of bad solder joints on the board. Of course once I pulled the board with all the lights on it to fix the bad solder joint then I had to clean the inserts.... It's never ending once you start ;)

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
Whoohoooo! My pinball lineup is back up 100% running thank's to PinHead.ca !!! Thank you Geoff!

I wired my coil backwards and blew a bunch of chips, I tried to fix it myself, but in the end, did not know how to troubleshoot it any further. I was able to replace a capacitor and a resistor that blew, but the resistor kept on blowing, in the end, the capacitor on the coil was blown, which was blowing the triarc which was blowing my resistor. Anyhow, it was easy for Geoff to fix, and at least I know what to try next time before calling in the calvary!

Good start to a new year when we have all the pins up and running!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
thewebexpert said:
Whoohoooo! My pinball lineup is back up 100% running

This is part of my new year's resolution for 2014.
Get every little bug or repair out of the way before the month is up. No more procrastinating.

I changed the battery holder on my FT last night. It wasn't holding any settings.
Next, I have to fix HS. It has a couple of bad switches. Also, one of my Tron lightcycles isn't lighting up; bad connection. Will try to sort all those this weekend... and then get back to my playfield work.
Currently doing a TZ, Pinbot, Grand Lizard and Jacks Open.

Pinhead

Jun 19, 2013
Ottawa
thewebexpert said:
Whoohoooo! My pinball lineup is back up 100% running thank's to PinHead.ca !!! Thank you Geoff!

Thanks for setting up a website for my girlfriend Derek! Now she can post her art in one place.

We all need help from someone here and there. After 27+ years repairing pinball machines, I am still learning. Lots of fun.

I guess when it comes down to it... I make people happy one machine at a time.

Geoff

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Accomplished a few things in this week so far. ( I worked a fair amount - which is always good ) and.....

Met up with MWong so he could borrow my minivan and go to Medvet's to get his TAF and WOF for EJ.
Met Wayne (Websherpa) yesterday when he picked up his Baffleball that Sparky dropped off a while back.
Met up with Daniel (McMean) today when he came to Toronto to pickup his sweet HUO Ms.Pacman/Galaga vid.

A decent start to the New Year thus far.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
WARLOCK said:
Accomplished a few things in this week so far. ( I worked a fair amount - which is always good ) and.....

Met up with MWong so he could borrow my minivan and go to Medvet's to get his TAF and WOF for EJ.
Met Wayne (Websherpa) yesterday when he picked up his Baffleball that Sparky dropped off a while back.
Met up with Daniel (McMean) today when he came to Toronto to pickup his sweet HUO Ms.Pacman/Galaga vid.

I see more travel in your future ;)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Well, since nobody else is doing anything lately.... :D

I've been keeping up with my resolution to start knocking down all the little annoying issues that start cropping up when you own more than a dozen games.
They'll start overtaking you if you don't get on them.

In the last 7 days I have repaired an issue with my FT where it wasn't holding any settings (bad battery holder); I removed and fixed a non-working lightcycle mod on my TRON, tackled a couple of bad switches on HS (I still have a couple more to do way in the back), got two playfields ready for clearcoating and starting tearing down a Gottlieb Jacks Open that will soon join them. I like to group playfield work into batches of 4-5. Makes things more efficient.

I also sold my BH yesterday (really, really fast I might add). It's bittersweet but must be done. So, that game must be torn down tonight to make some room for my 2nd BSD; which just arrived today! Thanks to two Mikes for helping me score the game; you know who you are ;)
I was sad to see my last one go and glad I got another one back so soon. It has a couple of minor issues to address, but a very nice and clean example overall with almost no fade. Very happy!

Lastly, either this weekend or sometime next week, I will also start to tackle my first vid cabinet! Going to try and build my own custom vintage Nintendo. Looking forward to that! I'll probably do a DK (or Fix it Felix) but it'll be a 'multi-cade' of some sort.

Okay.. that's me all caught up now... sorta

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Alright, my turn. I've been working on shopping a client's IJ (for WAAAAAAAY too long I might add, for lots of reasons) and I've managed to finally get everything all back together minus the ramp divertor. At some point the original spring on the divertor broke and someone hacked a shooter rod spring in it's place and I didn't have a replacement in my stock. I will have that part tonight and by tomorrow I can start play testing and tweaking the game before it goes back to the owner.

I also fixed and delivered another clients Space Invaders pin before the Christmas break, and on delivery replaced a broken drop target in their Bally Mystic.

Once IJ is out of the shop I have the following repairs to get at;

-SI cocktail cab that needs monitor work (vert collapse)
-Farfalla PCB's to test after modding and confirm working 100%
-Full shop job on a STTNG
-Repair non-booting Elektra
-Switch replacement on WoZ & RS
-Replace FET on non-working LOTR driver PCB
-Repair stuck mode start gate on SWep1
-GI out on SS, install full protectors on LOTR
-Repair 5V regulators on two Rottendog driver PCB's
-Repair speech on F-14

And I haven't even begun to list the stuff I need to get at on my own games!!!! :FP:

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Menace said:
And I haven't even begun to list the stuff I need to get at on my own games!!!! :FP:

D

I think you're gonna lose your man card if you don't AT LEAST set up that Zaccaria Robot before you do any of the above :?
What's it been? A year??

DOOOO EEEEEEET MAN!!!

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
REVOLUTION said:
Got myself banned from posting on Stern's facebook page today because I called Jodi a "creep" for posting this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Welcome to the "Banned from Stern's Facebook Page" club. Got my membership on Xmas day.

That photo is, undoubtably, a little hard to judge the motives of. I'm sure it's completely innocent but comes off as creep show spectacular. At least it wasn't shot from a low angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
frolic said:
I'm sure it was more just....

"SEE, A WOMAN.... PLAYING PINBALL.... IT CAN HAPPEN!"

It's just that you never get a full bum shot straight from behind when an unwashed, scraggly hipster is playing a machine. Yet when a tight girl in tight pants ponys up to the machine...all the rules of pinball photography are thrown out the window apparently. Maybe they'll post some Dorothy up-skirts from earlier in the day when she was playing ST.

(Looks like the ban hammer is falling swift and often...I've been following and comments are disappearing left and right--both derogatory and critical.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Not that I have a problem with a good ass pic but that picture definitely doesn't have anything to do with pinball. 99.9% of the population couldn't tell what game the person was playing... Then again 99.9% of the population probably wouldn't be on the facebook page of a pinball manufacture :p

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
DRANO said:
WARLOCK said:

I see more travel in your future ;)

I see this as inevitable.

My own tasks. (Plus+?)
A task for you now. lol. (Who knew when you made this post)
Tasks for others that I am as yet unaware of, but they will surface in time.